iPod Touch 4G ios5 in Linux Mint 12 (32-bit)

Questions about hardware, drivers and peripherals
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Kyosho

iPod Touch 4G ios5 in Linux Mint 12 (32-bit)

Post by Kyosho »

Hi - I'm pretty new to Linux Mint, and I like it a lot. I understand from a lot of searching that the support for properly updating MP3 files on the iPod Touch 4G with iOS 5 is currently an unsolved problem.

Using Banshee, my iPod is recognized as a device. I can copy MP3/music files to it. They show up in Banshee on the device list and are playable. After waiting for Sync to complete, however, I disconnect the device and the Music folder is empty. In iTunes I see only Other storage, no Music. MP3 added to the iPod in iTunes do appear in Banshee when I connect and are playable.

It seems like 98% there and 1 thing missing: the writeback to the iPod device does not complete on the iPod itself somehow, or is not saved in some particular way or format. It just misses.

I also noticed a failure to delete files from the iPod, such as photos I imported.

I also tried a Wine/iTunes installation, but it would not even recognize the iPod device.

Will the libimobiledevice team be creating a solution, is something imminent? I hope to use the player in Linux Mint 12.

Thank you for any help you can offer.

Frank Kyosho Fallon
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
jjmk1

Re: iPod Touch 4G ios5 in Linux Mint 12 (32-bit)

Post by jjmk1 »

been waiting for a solution to sync my ipod touch 4g and linux for over 6 months and it sucks. i want to find a linux alternative but so far the ipod touch is the best pocket computer on the market. samsung galaxy looked promising but all the demos at best buy had touch screen problems while the in store ipod touches were still fully functional with the same amount of use.

ezmp3 free ipod app will give you some options by allowing you to wifi songs onto your ipod without itunes. it has a lot of problems like not being able to import songs based on my banshee playlists.

options:
downgrade my ipod touch to os 3 ? not sure how...
run linux on my ipod?
someone to write an app that works like itunes without the BS database structure that only apple can sync?
write a database matching plug-in for banshee?

someone can do this i will pay or help you sell it....
Dead_On_ Arrival

Post by Dead_On_ Arrival »

You might want to give this a go http://www.libimobiledevice.org/

Haven't tried it myself as I do not have an Ipod but looks very promising. :D
Kyosho

Post by Kyosho »

Hi - Yes, I have been following developments on that site. They have not yet had the time and support to break through on Music/Video syncing on the iPod Touch 4 (iOS 5). Other aspects are moving along. I'm betting they get it before long. :mrgreen:
Kyosho

Post by Kyosho »

I feel that I was able to solve this problem by installing VirtualBox, and then installing Windows XP, installing iTunes for Windows, and reformatting my iPod Touch 4G to Windows format (after backing it up, so I could restore the contents and settings, which all worked fine, but it was a bit tricky to go through all the steps).

VirtualBox must have Extensions downloaded, and then when the virtual Windows XP window is open, install VirtualBox Additions from within XP. Finally I updated libimobiledevice from Synaptic, and chose as many related installs as seemed advisable.

At long last, iOS6 works great on iTunes/iPod on Windows XP on VirtualBox on LinuxMint (on Ubuntu 12.04) on Dell Inspiron Laptop! :D

Return to “Hardware Support”