Command not working

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
philthefluter

Command not working

Post by philthefluter »

Hello there

I was given the following command to help solve a networking issue. However it doesnt seem to work. Im using Mint 14 Mate.

Can anyone give me the proper command.

david@david-M7x0K ~ $ name resolve order = bcast host lmhosts wins
No command 'name' found, did you mean:
Command 'named' from package 'bind9' (main)
Command 'namei' from package 'util-linux' (main)
Command 'lame' from package 'lame' (universe)
Command 'uname' from package 'coreutils' (main)
Command 'nama' from package 'nama' (universe)
Command 'mame' from package 'mame' (multiverse)
Command 'nam' from package 'nam' (universe)
name: command not found
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
kc1di
Level 18
Level 18

Re: Command not working

Post by kc1di »

Hello philthefluter and welcome to Mint,

First you might want to explain exactly what your trying to do as the command you entered is not a bash command but a Samba command which must be put in the
LMHOST file of Samba that is why the command you issued was not known by the terminal.
see the following link for more information:
http://oreilly.com/openbook/samba/book/ch07_03.html

Good luck
Last edited by kc1di on Thu Feb 07, 2013 7:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
Easy tips : https://easylinuxtipsproject.blogspot.com/ Pjotr's Great Linux projects page.
Linux Mint Installation Guide: http://linuxmint-installation-guide.rea ... en/latest/
Registered Linux User #462608
altair4
Level 20
Level 20

Post by altair4 »

david@david-M7x0K ~ $ name resolve order = bcast host lmhosts wins
That's not a command you run from a terminal. It's a line you add to smb.conf.

[1] Edit smb.conf as root:

Code: Select all

gksu pluma /etc/samba/smb.conf
[2] Add the line right under the workgroup line:
[global]

## Browsing/Identification ###

# Change this to the workgroup/NT-domain name your Samba server will part of
workgroup = WORKGROUP
name resolve order = bcast host lmhosts wins
[3] Then save the file and restart samba:

sudo service smbd restart

sudo service nmbd restart
Wait a few minutes and then see if you can connect.
Please add a [SOLVED] at the end of your original subject header if your question has been answered and solved.
altair4
Level 20
Level 20

Post by altair4 »

Note: THis is nothing more than a rant and servers no purpose other than being a rant but the referenced HowTo is why it takes people like me so long to understand how Samba works: http://oreilly.com/openbook/samba/book/ch07_03.html

** There is no lmhosts file.
** /etc/hosts does exist but you have to enter the ip addresses and netbios names of all the other machines on the network. It may be obvious to some but the only way it will work is if all the other machines have static ip addresses.
** wins refers to a WINS server. Nothing wrong with that except that it has to have a static ip address, all of the other machines have to be modified to point to this WINS server for everything to work, and it has to be always running.

This leaves bcast. It's mentioned in the HowTo in passing, never defined, and never explicitly stated that it's the only method that works by default in Samba and should be placed first in the "name resolve order" sequence in a home LAN not last which is the default.
Please add a [SOLVED] at the end of your original subject header if your question has been answered and solved.
philthefluter

Post by philthefluter »

Hello Altair4

Nothing wrong with having a rant.

Maybe you can rant on this as well. Im back to problems with my network connections with my laptop. I have three other computers on the network and I have been able to network with them all now. They all have static IP addresss and I have entered these successfully and can see them in the network. I can also navigate to all of the folders and see the files. However I cant run the files. I have been able to run and copy one file from each machine but now all three machines are not allowing me to copy or run any files across the network.

I can successfully find files in my Linux machine from any of the three windows machines and run them successfully, but not vice versa. Ones is XP, one is Vista and one is 7. File sharing is properly set up and is open for all and I can sharesuccessfully in any direction with my windws machines

I have checked all the ports and all relevant ports are open on all machines. I have also disabled the firewall on my linux machine.

Any ideas?
altair4
Level 20
Level 20

Post by altair4 »

I can also navigate to all of the folders and see the files. However I cant run the files. I have been able to run and copy one file from each machine but now all three machines are not allowing me to copy or run any files across the network. ... I can successfully find files in my Linux machine from any of the three windows machines and run them successfully, but not vice versa.
I don't know what you mean by the word "run".

As far as copying, you could copy a file from Windows to Linux at one point and now you cannot?
Do these shares on the WIndows system require authentication to gain access?

EDIT: You are connecting to these Windows shares via Caja, correct?
philthefluter

Post by philthefluter »

Hello again

I can open the folders on other computers on the network but I cant open them or copy them from their location to my computer. I cant play a video file for example or open a picture file from its location. Neither can I copy a file from its location to my computer.

I am using Caja to copy and Im trying to open picture files with Eye of Mate Image viewer, video files with VLC media player and music fles with Banshee.

I have just set up another laptop with Mint today and after solving the initial issues as per the previous recommendations I have been able to view and open and copy files to it from my windows comupters on the network without issue.

Hope this helps you understand the issue.

Thanks for the help.

Return to “Beginner Questions”