Two Hard drives

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Curtrey

Two Hard drives

Post by Curtrey »

I am wondering if it is possible to have two hard drives in a desktop in the following configuration

Hard drive 1 holding 3 o/s
Hard drive 2 holding the data from all 3 o/s.

Most of the data I save is generated by application systems which are common to each of the o/s.Eg. open office/libre office data I currently save to a USB memory stick. I can access this data whichever o/s I am using. Without using the USB memory stick, I have to close o/s 1 and open o/s 2 to access data in os 2.

At present I can not access data produced when in one o/s whilst in another unless I ca access it from the USB memory stick. It would be so much easier if the data storage could be on a second hard drive internally.Presumably I could use a solid hard drive or memory card of some description.

Please could someone versed in these matters instruct me how to arrange and the instructions I have to give to each o/s telling it to store data to the second o/s. Or perhaps I need to instruct each application system.

Thank you

Curtrey
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
wayne128

Re: Two Hard drives

Post by wayne128 »

Just my practice , for reference only.

I have many Linux OSes and Win OS on the same computer.
I share data on a partition, in order to share with winOS, I used ntfs format, which can be accessed by any modern Linux OS out of the box ( read/write/change).
So if you consider this method, you would then create a ntfs formatted data partition on hard drive 2.
each time you use linux OS, any linux OS, you have full access over the data partition

When I want to back up those important files, I copy to the USB drive, also in ntfs format ( some people prefer to have FAT32 format). which is also accessible by all OSes ( Lin/win/etc).
Curtrey

Post by Curtrey »

Thank you I'll give it a try

Curtrey
Flemur
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Flemur »

You might want to use a linux extN data partition and use Ext2Read or something similar to access it from Windows, depending on which OS you use the most.
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] if/when it is solved!
Your data and OS are backed up....right?

Return to “Storage”