FTP network connection

Questions about Wi-Fi and other network devices, file sharing, firewalls, connection sharing etc
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
nomko

FTP network connection

Post by nomko »

Ok, this is a new attempt to get my 2 computers connected through a network connection. I'm still trying :wink:

Is it possible to set up a regular/normal FTP server/client connection between the 2 computers?

PC 1 will be the client running Mint 14 + Cinnamon
PC 2 will be the server running Lubuntu 12.10 and sharing some folder and the external disc.
When this is possible, which FTP application should i use?

See the image for clarification.
The purple dashed line represents the FTP connection.
ROUTING FTP.pdf
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
nomko

Re: FTP network connection

Post by nomko »

Nobody here who has a solution?

Maybe someone knows a good FTP server with a easy-to-use GUI.
nomko

Post by nomko »

Can't be this hard to answer such an easy question..... :roll: :roll: :roll:

Does no one here knows a good FTP server application which comes with a good GUI?
PowerBarry43

Post by PowerBarry43 »

Hi

Try installing webmin on your server.

download and install by running:

Code: Select all

cd /tmp
wget http://prdownloads.sourceforge.net/webadmin/webmin_1.610_all.deb
sudo dpkg -i /tmp/webmin_1.610_all.deb
sudo apt-get install -f
then follow thig guide:

http://tutorials.securesignup.net/vps-h ... ebmin.html

Alternatively I'd always use sftp which only requires ssh to be running on the server, you can connect from nemo/nautilus with file>connect to server>ssh and log in or if using Windows you can download and install winscp which is a filezilla-like client for sftp or scp.

Hope this helps!

Barry
BobLinuxW8

Post by BobLinuxW8 »

Not sure if my experiens can help you, but maybe.
On my XP sytem I used CoreFTP lite for transferrinfg files from my Humax video system to my NAS .
On my new PC with Windows 8 and Linux Mint NAdia Cinnamon I looked for an alternative.
CpreFTP lite was not available for Windws 8 or for Linux. I tried Filezilla but then I needed 2 transfers (first from the humax to my PC and than again from the PC to the NAS.
But solution was finally VERY SIMPLE.
I opened 2 filemanagers on the Desktop. With File-connect to server I specified both (in my case) static IP adresses and made the choice for FTP with login. And than I could simply drag the files. The transfer was as fast as with coreFTP and withouth errors, what was often a oproblem with coreFTP. Monitoring is possible (you could follow the time and the size) what was not possible with CoreFTP when transferring files between 2 servers). So a GREAT advantage of Linux Mint !!!
The only minus against the use of a program as CoreFTP is that each time you use it you have to specify complete login information again, but maybe somebody knows a solution for that (a kind of connection library)...
Cheers
Bob

Return to “Networking”