New to Mint, long time Debian user.

Welcome to newcomers! Don't hesitate to introduce yourself.
Forum rules
Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
kinematic

New to Mint, long time Debian user.

Post by kinematic »

Well this is my first post so let's introduce myself here. I'm kinematic (yep, that's my real name :lol: ), I'm a carpenter, 36 years old and I'm from the Netherlands. I recently had a new system assembled by a local computer store. It has 2 SSD's in it, 64 gigs each and the first SSD has Win7 on it. I've never before in my life owned a computer with Windows on it (can you imagine that :shock: ) and since it was on offer at the store I thought what the heck, let's see what it's all about and I had them install it on the first SSD. Well, my first impression isn't very good. It's an over engineerd, bloated OS with poor security. But that's not important :lol: Today I finally got around to installing Mint. I've been a long time Debian user and I just don't feel like spending time configuring it anymore. I've read a lot of good things about Mint so I downloaded the live dvd (Linux Mint 14 Nadia). Ran it from a usb stick and I immediately liked what I saw so I installed it on the second SSD. Compared to Win 7 it's like a breath of fresh air. I now again have a system with proper security, applications I've used for a long time and I can find everything again without thinking and everything works out of the box :D But the best part is the wonderful gnome2 fork Mate. I now have my much beloved desktop back :D

In conclusion, Linux Mint rocks!

Still don't know what I'm gonna do with the first SSD with Win 7 on it. I don't think I'll be using it anymore so I might as well us it for my /home.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
kc1di
Level 18
Level 18

Re: New to Mint, long time Debian user.

Post by kc1di »

Welcome to Mint kinematic,

I too spent a good deal of time on Debian but really like Mint. Hope to see you around the forums.
Enjoy
Easy tips : https://easylinuxtipsproject.blogspot.com/ Pjotr's Great Linux projects page.
Linux Mint Installation Guide: http://linuxmint-installation-guide.rea ... en/latest/
Registered Linux User #462608
kinematic

Post by kinematic »

I'll be around. I have 8 years of experience with Debian so if I can help someone I'm glad to do so :D
The-Wizard

Post by The-Wizard »

Welcome to the Mint family forums

wizard
jesica

Post by jesica »

Welcome to the forum :mrgreen:
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Post by xenopeek »

Welkom op het Linux Mint forum kinematic :D Have fun with Linux Mint and MATE!
kurok

Post by kurok »

might want to give LMDE a spin it has mate also is is a lot less painfull than stock Debian. I'm using it and it is blazing fast on this old computer of mine.
Welcome to the forums and have fun Mint rocks.

Return to “Introduce Yourself”