new installs and data

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
bgast1

new installs and data

Post by bgast1 »

I didn't know how to title this but I am curious about something. In the past I have always seemed to trash my Linux installs and along with them goes the information on my hard disk. But at some point I am going to have a lot of music files on my hard drives that I don't want to rip all over again. Is there a way to install a new distro (if I wanted to ) without losing all of those files? I've never been very good about data management but I suppose it's about time that I start learning to save myself a lot of time.

My system currently has 3 hard drives (1) Has Windows XP installed. (2) 250 gig has Linux Mint and nothing else right now. (3) Formatted NTFS 750 gig and is empty.

I enjoy playing around with different distros but I don't like re-ripping CD's and restoring data.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
proxima_centauri

Re: new installs and data

Post by proxima_centauri »

You could create a separate partition (/home folder) for all your personal files during the install process. You could even just put your files on the 750gb NTFS drive, or reformat it to FAT32 so you can read+write easily from both windows and linux. There are many different possibilities.
bgast1

Post by bgast1 »

If I put my files on the 750 gig hard drive and use my Linux drive for playing around with different distros will grub recognize the different distros? If not what options are there besides a using a live disc? There usually is no way for me to know how it really will act with my hardware with out installing the distro is there?

Do I change the format to FAT32 in windows? I take it NTFS doesn't play well with Linux. But what about the 4 gig file size restriction?
Fred

Post by Fred »

bgast1,

Unless you need NTFS, use ext3. Unless you need FAT32, use NTFS. Mint handles NTFS just fine, but ext3 is faster, more robust, and more reliable.

You might want to look at these threads below to get a better picture of what your choices are and what you might want to do.

http://www.linuxmint.com/forum/viewtopi ... &sk=t&sd=a

http://www.linuxmint.com/forum/viewtopi ... 18&t=11125

There is probably more stuff floating around just can't remember where right now. Post back if you have questions.

Fred

Return to “Beginner Questions”