Software Sources Not Showing Additional Drivers Tab

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Horcalong

Software Sources Not Showing Additional Drivers Tab

Post by Horcalong »

Should I be concerned that Software Sources isn't showing up under my preferences?
Any idea where I'd find/get them?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
mfluder

Re: Software Sources

Post by mfluder »

Open Synaptic manager.

Sudo synaptic from terminal

Click on Settings menu. Click on Repositories menu item.

Not sure why it is not in your preferences menu.
Horcalong

Post by Horcalong »

Thanks. Me neither. It's a fresh install (yesterday).
Trying to get the ATI Catalyst drivers installed
mfluder

Post by mfluder »

You could try making a new launcher

here is the command line: software-properties-gtk
Horcalong

Post by Horcalong »

Got to the Software Sources panel, but it contains no Additional Drivers tab. Any ideas? Was it the terrorists who made off with my tab? Sounds like something they'd do.
mfluder

Re: Software Sources Not Showing Additional Drivers Tab

Post by mfluder »

I have never seen a tab like that under software sources. Normally, if I want to search for additional drivers, I use the menu option. It is at the top of the list under 'All Applications'
mfluder

Post by mfluder »

BTW, you mentioned that you wanted to install ATI drivers. I had problems installing that driver using the 'additional drivers' gui. I always install radeon drivers from synaptic or terminal. the packages are 'fglrx' and 'fglrx-amdcccle'. (I always go for the standard package. Never the one labeled 'updates')
Horcalong

Post by Horcalong »

mfluder wrote:I have never seen a tab like that under software sources. Normally, if I want to search for additional drivers, I use the menu option. It is at the top of the list under 'All Applications'
I just installed the latest version of Mint (14.1 I believe) and they have incorporated the Additional Drivers into the Software Sources panel...theoretically at least.

I tried installing the drivers through the terminal. It worked when I was running Netrunner, but on Mint it fails to install the packages every time.

Keep in mind I am a relative noob with Linux. Only been running it for 8 months give or take, so I still have a lot to learn.
mfluder

Post by mfluder »

what error message do you receive when you try to install drivers?

Return to “Beginner Questions”