Linux Mint 14 Slow in Virtual Box

Questions about hardware, drivers and peripherals
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
MumbleFysh

Linux Mint 14 Slow in Virtual Box

Post by MumbleFysh »

Installed Linux Mint 14 today within Virtual Box across two different host machines. On both hosts, Linux Mint 14 (64 Bit Cinnamon) is unusably slow.

Here's what I have for hardware:
Intel Core I7 3630QM
8GB RAM
GTX660M 2GB VRAM
1TB 7200 RPM (obviously a platter drive)

What I had configured in the VM:
Linux Mint 14
2GB Dedicated to LM14
3D Acceleration - On
2 CPU dedicated (VirtualBox definition of 2 CPU's)
60GB Drive Fixed size

I tried this configuration on a Windows 8 x64 Host and an Ubuntu 12.10 x64 Host. I have been screwing around with the settings for quite some time. If I can't get this to work I have to abandon Linux Mint as an option for our development. Let me know if anyone has options to try and get this to run 'smoothly'
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
SiKing
Level 5
Level 5

Re: Linux Mint 14 Slow in Virtual Box

Post by SiKing »

Have you seen this: http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=49&t=124859
MumbleFysh wrote: What I had configured in the VM:
3D Acceleration - On

If I can't get this to work I have to abandon Linux Mint as an option for our development.
I don't get it. do you really need 3D on a development machine :?:
MumbleFysh

Post by MumbleFysh »

SiKing wrote:Have you seen this: http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=49&t=124859
MumbleFysh wrote: What I had configured in the VM:
3D Acceleration - On

If I can't get this to work I have to abandon Linux Mint as an option for our development.
I don't get it. do you really need 3D on a development machine :?:
I've seen various threads on here with similar issues where this is recommended. I'm letting people know I've already tried this, before they suggest it and we both waste time trying to solve a problem with something we've already tried.
CimmerianX

Post by CimmerianX »

I also have this issue. Clean install of mint 14 cinnamon 64bit into virtual box with almost the identical settings and the interface is painfully sluggish, plus the hot corners feature keeps sending me into the 'overview' screen.

Very odd. Mint 13 and ubuntu 11.10 desktops do not have this issue.

Return to “Hardware Support”