caja and desk background

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
dld
Level 1
Level 1

caja and desk background

Post by dld »

Linux Mint 14/MATE: It seems that caja is in charge of the desktop background. As far as I can tell, it can't handle the responsibility! Is there an alternative to control the background?

I want a colored background that is FREE of all icons. Why is it always so difficult to get rid of icons? If I set "show desktop" I get icons on a colored background. Otherwise I get a black background. Its a limitation, if not a downright bug in caja.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
zerozero

Re: caja and desk background

Post by zerozero »

yes, caja draws the desktop (as does nautilus and nemo) and with that the ability to place icons on the desktop.
there's an easy-to-use tool to "fix" that: menu > preferences > desktop settings
dld
Level 1
Level 1

Post by dld »

Nice idea, but it doesn't give the option of not showing folder and file icons. those are the ones I really don't want to see.
TheDynamicHamza21
Level 5
Level 5

Post by TheDynamicHamza21 »

dld wrote:Nice idea, but it doesn't give the option of not showing folder and file icons. those are the ones I really don't want to see.

The method that zerozero suggested is how to disable desktops icons for Computer,Trash,Home,Network and Mounted Volumes. If you talking about not showing icons of folder and files you place on your desktop,then the only solution is not place icons on your desktop or use another workspace.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CK5XCnJCoN8
Linux Registered User: # 573034

Hamza21.com
dld
Level 1
Level 1

Post by dld »

I switch workspaces all day long. How do I "not place icons on the desktop?" The ->apps->caja->preferences->show desktop approach will kill the icons, but the next time I reboot I will have a black background. Bug or feature or am I missing something?
TheDynamicHamza21
Level 5
Level 5

Post by TheDynamicHamza21 »

dld wrote:I switch workspaces all day long. How do I "not place icons on the desktop?" The ->apps->caja->preferences->show desktop approach will kill the icons, but the next time I reboot I will have a black background. Bug or feature or am I missing something?

Mate comes with the default desktop icons of Computer,Home,Trash to remove these you use the way ,I and zerozero, describe. Now after using that method you should have not have any icons on your desktop screen. However, if you placed icons on the desktop by dragging them there or right click and choose "Create A folder" ,etc then the only way to remove those is delete them or drag them to your panel, if you so desire.

As far as I know there no way to adjust settings that will make icons you place on desktop disappear and only show you the wallpaper. That is not a feature of Linux Mint. If you prefer a clean desktop with no icons then don't place icons on your desktop. Create icons on your panel instead.
Linux Registered User: # 573034

Hamza21.com
dld
Level 1
Level 1

Re: caja and desk background <Solved>

Post by dld »

The effective answer I found for my problems was a third install. Go figure. This time I formatted the partition before installing. It makes for a lot of work to set everything up again, but it worth it to have a clean desktop. Sorry if I wasted your time.

Return to “Software & Applications”