LMDE UP6 ISOs?

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
M_aD
Level 4
Level 4

Re: LMDE UP6 ISOs?

Post by M_aD »

cwwgateway wrote: I think the RC will come out next week unless any problems are found during the QA. I think the final version will come out later in the month, possibly around the 20th.
I think it might take a bit longer before the RC comes out, depending on how many testers actually test the iso's and how many time the testers have. According to the problems we found, new iso's for testing might be required but we didn't get a response from fredg yet. So we'll have to wait a bit.
cwwgateway

Post by cwwgateway »

Mr. B wrote:
cwwgateway wrote: I think the RC will come out next week unless any problems are found during the QA. I think the final version will come out later in the month, possibly around the 20th.
I think it might take a bit longer before the RC comes out, depending on how many testers actually test the iso's and how many time the testers have. According to the problems we found, new iso's for testing might be required but we didn't get a response from fredg yet. So we'll have to wait a bit.
You could definitely be right, and you know much more about the testing and the ISO quality than I do. Maybe I'm just an optimist...
Ibex

Post by Ibex »

Okay, it takes as long as it takes - no problems!
But the unrealistic and self-imposed deadline is irritating and from a professional point of view deserves to be amended (how difficult and time-consuming could that be, I wonder).
GeneC

Post by GeneC »

Ibex wrote:.......the unrealistic and self-imposed deadline is irritating and from a professional point of view deserves to be amended (how difficult and time-consuming could that be, I wonder).
And just what is that deadline you are talking about? There never is a deadline, its ready when its ready, as always...

From blog post of Jan 28th
The new LMDE ISOs are almost ready and they should enter QA sometime this week. As previously announced, LMDE will come in two separate editions for MATE and Cinnamon.
The iso's presently are in testing, as planned.
http://community.linuxmint.com/iso/view/176
yro

Post by yro »

GeneC wrote:
Ibex wrote:.......the unrealistic and self-imposed deadline is irritating and from a professional point of view deserves to be amended (how difficult and time-consuming could that be, I wonder).
And just what is that deadline you are talking about? There never is a deadline, its ready when its ready, as always...

The new LMDE ISOs are almost ready and they should enter QA sometime this week. As previously announced, LMDE will come in two separate editions for MATE and Cinnamon.
hmmm yeah... but they anounced that up6 isos would be released in 2013 january... so.. ???

this sux, the unprofessionalism sux too, but hey... "its free"...

anyway, im waiting for the up6 iso featuring mate so i can have fun with my computer again...

oh.. does anyone know how can i grab the isos on the qa? as its an rolling release, ill have no problem with the iso in test.
zerozero

Post by zerozero »

there is no deadlines (ever) with mint releases and this IS professionalism believe it or not. the only motto mint has regarding this subject is "released when it's ready"

what suxs is the "hey, it's free" attitude.
yro

Post by yro »

zerozero wrote:there is no deadlines (ever) with mint releases and this IS professionalism believe it or not. the only motto mint has regarding this subject is "released when it's ready"

youre wrong.

when they announced the january 2013 as a release date they have the obligation on releasing the isos in this month. if they dont release so its unprofessionalism.

the "hey, its free" is a statement and its right. the mint isos are free and there is nothing that users can do about that. what sux is you taking this sentence and using it like a fanboy. simple as it is. the fact you cant understand that just proves my point.
zerozero

Post by zerozero »

yro wrote:they have the obligation on releasing the isos in this month
what? do you read what you write? obligation?
yro wrote:the mint isos are free and there is nothing that users can do about that.
ahh my dear, there's a lot users can do (so they wish to do it): money is not all but donations are always welcome :wink:
apart from that a lot of us here give time and brain cells to help others and to build this community (we even listen to some whiners that can't stand a couple weeks delay)
yro wrote:the "hey, its free" is a statement and its right
and is rubbish as well; the way you putted it is derogatory; and free (as in freedom or in FOSS) is the strength of linux.
yro

Post by yro »

zerozero wrote:
yro wrote:they have the obligation on releasing the isos in this month
what? do you read what you write? obligation?
yro wrote:the mint isos are free and there is nothing that users can do about that.
ahh my dear, there's a lot users can do (so they wish to do it): money is not all but donations are always welcome :wink:
apart from that a lot of us here give time and brain cells to help others and to build this community (we even listen to some whiners that can't stand a couple weeks delay)
yro wrote:the "hey, its free" is a statement and its right
and is rubbish as well; the way you putted it is derogatory; and free (as in freedom or in FOSS) is the strength of linux.
with all these quotes youre just proving my point...
cwwgateway

Post by cwwgateway »

I think it would be more unprofessional to release an ISO before it's ready than to release an ISO late, especially considering the old ISOs still work and can be updated to the same condition as the new ones. There are very valid reasons for a new ISO (and sooner is better than later); I personally want an install with only one DE (Cinnamon) and I don't like wasting bandwith. However, a new ISO doesn't help if it's bad quality.
yro wrote: oh.. does anyone know how can i grab the isos on the qa? as its an rolling release, ill have no problem with the iso in test.
You have to be a registered tester to get the ISOs early, and AFAIK it's difficult to become a registered tester (I'm not sure of the exact process). I don't quite understand your second sentence so I can't comment on it.
Ibex

Post by Ibex »

GeneC wrote:

http://blog.linuxmint.com/?p=2254
"FAQ
Will LMDE get new ISO images with Update Pack 6?
Yes, we’re planning to release LMDE Update Pack 6 for the following editions in January 2013:
Cinnamon, MATE."

Due to unforseen circumstances (or whatever other reasons) the release of the ISO LMDE UP6 will be delayed until further notice (or a more realistic date).
No obligation, just a simple courtesy amending the FAQ... IMHO.
Ibex

Post by Ibex »

zerozero wrote:there is no deadlines (ever) with mint releases and this IS professionalism believe it or not. the only motto mint has regarding this subject is "released when it's ready"
It's wrong is not amending the "FAQ - Will LMDE get new ISO images with Update Pack 6?
Yes, we’re planning to release LMDE Update Pack 6 for the following editions in January 2013.

Nothing to do with attidude, but all to do with courtesy.
cwwgateway

Post by cwwgateway »

Amending would be nice, although editing blog posts seems to be rare. The policy appears to be that later posts will be made to amend previous ones, and I don't have a problem with that because I read newest posts first.
Ibex

Post by Ibex »

zerozero wrote: apart from that a lot of us here give time and brain cells to help others and to build this community
Yes, I really was expecting this kind of comment! This kind of psychological response is soooo revealing.
zerozero wrote: (we even listen to some whiners that can't stand a couple weeks delay)
You may wish to re-read my post "by Ibex on Fri Feb 08, 2013 7:24 pm".
You call it whining, I call it request for accurate and updated information; Your lowbrowed suggestion is inappropriate.
Is it wrong to rely on messages from Clem? Naturally and obviously, I am not as close to him as you are (leve1 vs level15 - how dare I...)!
The original FAQ should be amended or denote if consequent updated information is posted somewhere else!
Uhh, I suspect am now an 'undesirable' person in this forum who won't be able to get any assistance from your 'high-level' experts because spoke my mind, oh well!
zerozero

Post by zerozero »

i'm not gonna spend more time trying to explain what is obvious (and apparently only a couple don't want to understand, that's fine: we can live with that)

there was one first reference to the new isos in the blog post announcing UP6 ( Written by Clem on Wednesday, December 19th, 2012 @ 10:39 am) http://blog.linuxmint.com/?p=2254
FAQ

Yes, we’re planning to release LMDE Update Pack 6 for the following editions in January 2013:

Cinnamon
MATE

then on the http://blog.linuxmint.com/?p=2275 (Written by Clem on Monday, January 28th, 2013 @ 7:43 am)
is said
as far as communication goes i can't see a problem
yro

Post by yro »

zerozero wrote:i'm not gonna spend more time trying to explain what is obvious (and apparently only a couple don't want to understand, that's fine: we can live with that)

there was one first reference to the new isos in the blog post announcing UP6 ( Written by Clem on Wednesday, December 19th, 2012 @ 10:39 am) http://blog.linuxmint.com/?p=2254
FAQ

Cinnamon
MATE

then on the http://blog.linuxmint.com/?p=2275 (Written by Clem on Monday, January 28th, 2013 @ 7:43 am)
is said
as far as communication goes i can't see a problem
as far I can tell, there is no problem. i make this topic to have some answers about some questions of mine. then some guys starts offtopic postings here, and then we have our hole crap about professionalism, etc.

the point is: the up6 isos was announced to be released in january 2013. so they have the obligation to do so. atleast they could NOT announce an release date.

but anyway... its not a problem for me. i can wait. what i cant do is come here, read some shits and stay quiet about that.

so, lets get focus on the point of this topic, if thats possible...

ps.: guys, im from brazil and i dont speak in english verywell, and i dont use translators. so, please be patient about my bad english.
killer de bug

Post by killer de bug »

yro wrote: the point is: the up6 isos was announced to be released in january 2013. so they have the obligation to do so. atleast they could NOT announce an release date.

but anyway... its not a problem for me. i can wait. what i cant do is come here, read some unicorns and stay quiet about that.
If waiting is not a problem, then why are you posting here instead of waiting quietly ? :shock:

Clem and the team are not obliged about anything. You wait or you leave. That's the only truth. Go use Debian and stop complaining here...
If you really want mint debian with UP6, use the old iso and update your system. But stop complaining here ! :?

I'm voting in favor of closing all the topic about the new iso, their release date, and the delay without any response...
yro

Post by yro »

killer de bug wrote:
yro wrote: the point is: the up6 isos was announced to be released in january 2013. so they have the obligation to do so. atleast they could NOT announce an release date.

but anyway... its not a problem for me. i can wait. what i cant do is come here, read some unicorns and stay quiet about that.
If waiting is not a problem, then why are you posting here instead of waiting quietly ? :shock:

Clem and the team are not obliged about anything. You wait or you leave. That's the only truth. Go use Debian and stop complaining here...
If you really want mint debian with UP6, use the old iso and update your system. But stop complaining here ! :?

I'm voting in favor of closing all the topic about the new iso, their release date, and the delay without any response...

look at the first post of mine when i open this tread. and look at the date of this topic... now look at the first quesion i made... and stop posting crap.
Last edited by dagon on Sat Feb 09, 2013 2:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Post edited. Comment deleted.
cwwgateway

Post by cwwgateway »

At this point I agree that the thread should be locked because the conversation is going nowhere. As far as the original question, it is very valid - you wanted to know when/if the MATE-only ISO would be released. I can understand - I've been waiting for the Cinnamon-only ISO. Assuming you're all set and your questions are answered, I don't think this conversation is constructive.

Return to “LMDE Archive”