LMDE UP6 ISOs?

Discuss non-support related topics related to LMDE.
Forum rules
Before you post please read this

Re: LMDE UP6 ISOs?

Postby Ibex on Wed Feb 06, 2013 7:46 pm

cwwgateway wrote:
Ibex wrote:
cwwgateway wrote:The ISOs have entered Q&A: http://community.linuxmint.com/iso.


Great! So would you have an educated guess as to the approximate time-frame for finally releasing these iso's?


I think the RC will come out next week unless any problems are found during the QA. I think the final version will come out later in the month, possibly around the 20th.


Thanks.
Ibex
Level 1
Level 1
 
Posts: 15
Joined: Tue Oct 16, 2012 3:02 am

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.
 

Re: LMDE UP6 ISOs?

Postby Mr. B on Fri Feb 08, 2013 7:56 am

cwwgateway wrote:I think the RC will come out next week unless any problems are found during the QA. I think the final version will come out later in the month, possibly around the 20th.


I think it might take a bit longer before the RC comes out, depending on how many testers actually test the iso's and how many time the testers have. According to the problems we found, new iso's for testing might be required but we didn't get a response from fredg yet. So we'll have to wait a bit.
User avatar
Mr. B
Level 3
Level 3
 
Posts: 146
Joined: Sun Apr 27, 2008 9:03 am

Re: LMDE UP6 ISOs?

Postby cwwgateway on Fri Feb 08, 2013 1:31 pm

Mr. B wrote:
cwwgateway wrote:I think the RC will come out next week unless any problems are found during the QA. I think the final version will come out later in the month, possibly around the 20th.


I think it might take a bit longer before the RC comes out, depending on how many testers actually test the iso's and how many time the testers have. According to the problems we found, new iso's for testing might be required but we didn't get a response from fredg yet. So we'll have to wait a bit.

You could definitely be right, and you know much more about the testing and the ISO quality than I do. Maybe I'm just an optimist...
Dell XPS 15 l502x - Debian Testing 64-bit NetInst Xfce, SolydX 64-bit Debian Testing, SolydK 64-bit SolydXK Testing
Old Gateway Pentium 4 Desktop - Arch Linux 64-bit Xfce and SolydX 32-bit Sid
cwwgateway
Level 5
Level 5
 
Posts: 839
Joined: Fri Nov 11, 2011 10:44 pm

Re: LMDE UP6 ISOs?

Postby Ibex on Fri Feb 08, 2013 7:24 pm

Okay, it takes as long as it takes - no problems!
But the unrealistic and self-imposed deadline is irritating and from a professional point of view deserves to be amended (how difficult and time-consuming could that be, I wonder).
Ibex
Level 1
Level 1
 
Posts: 15
Joined: Tue Oct 16, 2012 3:02 am

Re: LMDE UP6 ISOs?

Postby GeneC on Fri Feb 08, 2013 8:00 pm

Ibex wrote:.......the unrealistic and self-imposed deadline is irritating and from a professional point of view deserves to be amended (how difficult and time-consuming could that be, I wonder).


And just what is that deadline you are talking about? There never is a deadline, its ready when its ready, as always...

From blog post of Jan 28th
The new LMDE ISOs are almost ready and they should enter QA sometime this week. As previously announced, LMDE will come in two separate editions for MATE and Cinnamon.


The iso's presently are in testing, as planned.
http://community.linuxmint.com/iso/view/176
GeneC

AMD Phenom2x4 3.2 ghz, 12GB DDR3, Nvidia GTX 460

Qiana (Cinnamon)
Sparky XFCE (Debian Testing)
EvolveOS (Budgie)
User avatar
GeneC
Level 7
Level 7
 
Posts: 1560
Joined: Fri Sep 03, 2010 1:59 pm
Location: Maine, USA

Re: LMDE UP6 ISOs?

Postby yro on Fri Feb 08, 2013 9:28 pm

GeneC wrote:
Ibex wrote:.......the unrealistic and self-imposed deadline is irritating and from a professional point of view deserves to be amended (how difficult and time-consuming could that be, I wonder).


And just what is that deadline you are talking about? There never is a deadline, its ready when its ready, as always...

From blog post of Jan 28th
The new LMDE ISOs are almost ready and they should enter QA sometime this week. As previously announced, LMDE will come in two separate editions for MATE and Cinnamon.


The iso's presently are in testing, as planned.
http://community.linuxmint.com/iso/view/176


hmmm yeah... but they anounced that up6 isos would be released in 2013 january... so.. ???

this sux, the unprofessionalism sux too, but hey... "its free"...

anyway, im waiting for the up6 iso featuring mate so i can have fun with my computer again...

oh.. does anyone know how can i grab the isos on the qa? as its an rolling release, ill have no problem with the iso in test.
sorry about my bad english... o.O
yro
Level 1
Level 1
 
Posts: 31
Joined: Sun Oct 23, 2011 1:34 pm
Location: Brazil

Re: LMDE UP6 ISOs?

Postby zerozero on Fri Feb 08, 2013 10:01 pm

there is no deadlines (ever) with mint releases and this IS professionalism believe it or not. the only motto mint has regarding this subject is "released when it's ready"

what suxs is the "hey, it's free" attitude.
Image

[ bliss of ignorance ]
zerozero
Level 16
Level 16
 
Posts: 6479
Joined: Tue Jul 07, 2009 2:29 pm

Re: LMDE UP6 ISOs?

Postby yro on Fri Feb 08, 2013 10:10 pm

zerozero wrote:there is no deadlines (ever) with mint releases and this IS professionalism believe it or not. the only motto mint has regarding this subject is "released when it's ready"

what suxs is the "hey, it's free" attitude.


youre wrong.

when they announced the january 2013 as a release date they have the obligation on releasing the isos in this month. if they dont release so its unprofessionalism.

the "hey, its free" is a statement and its right. the mint isos are free and there is nothing that users can do about that. what sux is you taking this sentence and using it like a fanboy. simple as it is. the fact you cant understand that just proves my point.
sorry about my bad english... o.O
yro
Level 1
Level 1
 
Posts: 31
Joined: Sun Oct 23, 2011 1:34 pm
Location: Brazil

Re: LMDE UP6 ISOs?

Postby zerozero on Fri Feb 08, 2013 10:21 pm

yro wrote:they have the obligation on releasing the isos in this month
what? do you read what you write? obligation?

yro wrote:the mint isos are free and there is nothing that users can do about that.
ahh my dear, there's a lot users can do (so they wish to do it): money is not all but donations are always welcome :wink:
apart from that a lot of us here give time and brain cells to help others and to build this community (we even listen to some whiners that can't stand a couple weeks delay)
yro wrote:the "hey, its free" is a statement and its right
and is rubbish as well; the way you putted it is derogatory; and free (as in freedom or in FOSS) is the strength of linux.
Image

[ bliss of ignorance ]
zerozero
Level 16
Level 16
 
Posts: 6479
Joined: Tue Jul 07, 2009 2:29 pm

Re: LMDE UP6 ISOs?

Postby yro on Fri Feb 08, 2013 10:47 pm

zerozero wrote:
yro wrote:they have the obligation on releasing the isos in this month
what? do you read what you write? obligation?

yro wrote:the mint isos are free and there is nothing that users can do about that.
ahh my dear, there's a lot users can do (so they wish to do it): money is not all but donations are always welcome :wink:
apart from that a lot of us here give time and brain cells to help others and to build this community (we even listen to some whiners that can't stand a couple weeks delay)
yro wrote:the "hey, its free" is a statement and its right
and is rubbish as well; the way you putted it is derogatory; and free (as in freedom or in FOSS) is the strength of linux.


with all these quotes youre just proving my point...
sorry about my bad english... o.O
yro
Level 1
Level 1
 
Posts: 31
Joined: Sun Oct 23, 2011 1:34 pm
Location: Brazil

Re: LMDE UP6 ISOs?

Postby cwwgateway on Fri Feb 08, 2013 11:24 pm

I think it would be more unprofessional to release an ISO before it's ready than to release an ISO late, especially considering the old ISOs still work and can be updated to the same condition as the new ones. There are very valid reasons for a new ISO (and sooner is better than later); I personally want an install with only one DE (Cinnamon) and I don't like wasting bandwith. However, a new ISO doesn't help if it's bad quality.
yro wrote:oh.. does anyone know how can i grab the isos on the qa? as its an rolling release, ill have no problem with the iso in test.

You have to be a registered tester to get the ISOs early, and AFAIK it's difficult to become a registered tester (I'm not sure of the exact process). I don't quite understand your second sentence so I can't comment on it.
Dell XPS 15 l502x - Debian Testing 64-bit NetInst Xfce, SolydX 64-bit Debian Testing, SolydK 64-bit SolydXK Testing
Old Gateway Pentium 4 Desktop - Arch Linux 64-bit Xfce and SolydX 32-bit Sid
cwwgateway
Level 5
Level 5
 
Posts: 839
Joined: Fri Nov 11, 2011 10:44 pm

Re: LMDE UP6 ISOs?

Postby Ibex on Fri Feb 08, 2013 11:33 pm

GeneC wrote:
Ibex wrote:.......the unrealistic and self-imposed deadline is irritating and from a professional point of view deserves to be amended (how difficult and time-consuming could that be, I wonder).


And just what is that deadline you are talking about? There never is a deadline, its ready when its ready, as always...

From blog post of Jan 28th
The new LMDE ISOs are almost ready and they should enter QA sometime this week. As previously announced, LMDE will come in two separate editions for MATE and Cinnamon.

The iso's presently are in testing, as planned.
http://community.linuxmint.com/iso/view/176


http://blog.linuxmint.com/?p=2254
"FAQ
Will LMDE get new ISO images with Update Pack 6?
Yes, we’re planning to release LMDE Update Pack 6 for the following editions in January 2013:
Cinnamon, MATE."

Due to unforseen circumstances (or whatever other reasons) the release of the ISO LMDE UP6 will be delayed until further notice (or a more realistic date).
No obligation, just a simple courtesy amending the FAQ... IMHO.
Ibex
Level 1
Level 1
 
Posts: 15
Joined: Tue Oct 16, 2012 3:02 am

Re: LMDE UP6 ISOs?

Postby Ibex on Fri Feb 08, 2013 11:40 pm

zerozero wrote:there is no deadlines (ever) with mint releases and this IS professionalism believe it or not. the only motto mint has regarding this subject is "released when it's ready"
what suxs is the "hey, it's free" attitude.


It's wrong is not amending the "FAQ - Will LMDE get new ISO images with Update Pack 6?
Yes, we’re planning to release LMDE Update Pack 6 for the following editions in January 2013.

Nothing to do with attidude, but all to do with courtesy.
Ibex
Level 1
Level 1
 
Posts: 15
Joined: Tue Oct 16, 2012 3:02 am

Re: LMDE UP6 ISOs?

Postby cwwgateway on Sat Feb 09, 2013 12:18 am

Amending would be nice, although editing blog posts seems to be rare. The policy appears to be that later posts will be made to amend previous ones, and I don't have a problem with that because I read newest posts first.
Dell XPS 15 l502x - Debian Testing 64-bit NetInst Xfce, SolydX 64-bit Debian Testing, SolydK 64-bit SolydXK Testing
Old Gateway Pentium 4 Desktop - Arch Linux 64-bit Xfce and SolydX 32-bit Sid
cwwgateway
Level 5
Level 5
 
Posts: 839
Joined: Fri Nov 11, 2011 10:44 pm

Re: LMDE UP6 ISOs?

Postby Ibex on Sat Feb 09, 2013 1:14 am

zerozero wrote:apart from that a lot of us here give time and brain cells to help others and to build this community


Yes, I really was expecting this kind of comment! This kind of psychological response is soooo revealing.

zerozero wrote: (we even listen to some whiners that can't stand a couple weeks delay)


You may wish to re-read my post "by Ibex on Fri Feb 08, 2013 7:24 pm".
You call it whining, I call it request for accurate and updated information; Your lowbrowed suggestion is inappropriate.
Is it wrong to rely on messages from Clem? Naturally and obviously, I am not as close to him as you are (leve1 vs level15 - how dare I...)!
The original FAQ should be amended or denote if consequent updated information is posted somewhere else!
Uhh, I suspect am now an 'undesirable' person in this forum who won't be able to get any assistance from your 'high-level' experts because spoke my mind, oh well!
Ibex
Level 1
Level 1
 
Posts: 15
Joined: Tue Oct 16, 2012 3:02 am

Re: LMDE UP6 ISOs?

Postby zerozero on Sat Feb 09, 2013 7:13 am

i'm not gonna spend more time trying to explain what is obvious (and apparently only a couple don't want to understand, that's fine: we can live with that)

there was one first reference to the new isos in the blog post announcing UP6 ( Written by Clem on Wednesday, December 19th, 2012 @ 10:39 am) http://blog.linuxmint.com/?p=2254
FAQ

Will LMDE get new ISO images with Update Pack 6?

Yes, we’re planning to release LMDE Update Pack 6 for the following editions in January 2013:

Cinnamon
MATE


then on the http://blog.linuxmint.com/?p=2275 (Written by Clem on Monday, January 28th, 2013 @ 7:43 am)
is said
The new LMDE ISOs are almost ready and they should enter QA sometime this week. As previously announced, LMDE will come in two separate editions for MATE and Cinnamon.


as far as communication goes i can't see a problem
Image

[ bliss of ignorance ]
zerozero
Level 16
Level 16
 
Posts: 6479
Joined: Tue Jul 07, 2009 2:29 pm

Re: LMDE UP6 ISOs?

Postby yro on Sat Feb 09, 2013 11:40 am

zerozero wrote:i'm not gonna spend more time trying to explain what is obvious (and apparently only a couple don't want to understand, that's fine: we can live with that)

there was one first reference to the new isos in the blog post announcing UP6 ( Written by Clem on Wednesday, December 19th, 2012 @ 10:39 am) http://blog.linuxmint.com/?p=2254
FAQ

Will LMDE get new ISO images with Update Pack 6?

Yes, we’re planning to release LMDE Update Pack 6 for the following editions in January 2013:

Cinnamon
MATE


then on the http://blog.linuxmint.com/?p=2275 (Written by Clem on Monday, January 28th, 2013 @ 7:43 am)
is said
The new LMDE ISOs are almost ready and they should enter QA sometime this week. As previously announced, LMDE will come in two separate editions for MATE and Cinnamon.


as far as communication goes i can't see a problem


as far I can tell, there is no problem. i make this topic to have some answers about some questions of mine. then some guys starts offtopic postings here, and then we have our hole crap about professionalism, etc.

the point is: the up6 isos was announced to be released in january 2013. so they have the obligation to do so. atleast they could NOT announce an release date.

but anyway... its not a problem for me. i can wait. what i cant do is come here, read some unicorns and stay quiet about that.

so, lets get focus on the point of this topic, if thats possible...

ps.: guys, im from brazil and i dont speak in english verywell, and i dont use translators. so, please be patient about my bad english.
sorry about my bad english... o.O
yro
Level 1
Level 1
 
Posts: 31
Joined: Sun Oct 23, 2011 1:34 pm
Location: Brazil

Re: LMDE UP6 ISOs?

Postby killer de bug on Sat Feb 09, 2013 12:59 pm

yro wrote:the point is: the up6 isos was announced to be released in january 2013. so they have the obligation to do so. atleast they could NOT announce an release date.

but anyway... its not a problem for me. i can wait. what i cant do is come here, read some unicorns and stay quiet about that.


If waiting is not a problem, then why are you posting here instead of waiting quietly ? :shock:

Clem and the team are not obliged about anything. You wait or you leave. That's the only truth. Go use Debian and stop complaining here...
If you really want mint debian with UP6, use the old iso and update your system. But stop complaining here ! :?

I'm voting in favor of closing all the topic about the new iso, their release date, and the delay without any response...
If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants. [Isaac Newton]
User avatar
killer de bug
Level 7
Level 7
 
Posts: 1809
Joined: Tue Jul 08, 2008 1:49 pm
Location: Austria

Re: LMDE UP6 ISOs?

Postby yro on Sat Feb 09, 2013 1:20 pm

killer de bug wrote:
yro wrote:the point is: the up6 isos was announced to be released in january 2013. so they have the obligation to do so. atleast they could NOT announce an release date.

but anyway... its not a problem for me. i can wait. what i cant do is come here, read some unicorns and stay quiet about that.


If waiting is not a problem, then why are you posting here instead of waiting quietly ? :shock:

Clem and the team are not obliged about anything. You wait or you leave. That's the only truth. Go use Debian and stop complaining here...
If you really want mint debian with UP6, use the old iso and update your system. But stop complaining here ! :?

I'm voting in favor of closing all the topic about the new iso, their release date, and the delay without any response...


***

look at the first post of mine when i open this tread. and look at the date of this topic... now look at the first quesion i made... and stop posting crap.
Last edited by dagon on Sat Feb 09, 2013 2:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Post edited. Comment deleted.
sorry about my bad english... o.O
yro
Level 1
Level 1
 
Posts: 31
Joined: Sun Oct 23, 2011 1:34 pm
Location: Brazil

Re: LMDE UP6 ISOs?

Postby cwwgateway on Sat Feb 09, 2013 1:53 pm

At this point I agree that the thread should be locked because the conversation is going nowhere. As far as the original question, it is very valid - you wanted to know when/if the MATE-only ISO would be released. I can understand - I've been waiting for the Cinnamon-only ISO. Assuming you're all set and your questions are answered, I don't think this conversation is constructive.
Dell XPS 15 l502x - Debian Testing 64-bit NetInst Xfce, SolydX 64-bit Debian Testing, SolydK 64-bit SolydXK Testing
Old Gateway Pentium 4 Desktop - Arch Linux 64-bit Xfce and SolydX 32-bit Sid
cwwgateway
Level 5
Level 5
 
Posts: 839
Joined: Fri Nov 11, 2011 10:44 pm

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.
 
Previous

Return to Open Discussion

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests