Graphics Video Resolution Randomly Wrong

Please post suggestions for improvement of Cinnamon on:
https://github.com/linuxmint/Cinnamon
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
AE2100A
Level 2
Level 2

Graphics Video Resolution Randomly Wrong

Post by AE2100A »

Problem: Most of the time, when reboot occurs, Linux Mint 14.1 detect my monitor connected to my desktop computer as a laptop and the maximum resolution is 1024x768. Once in a while, my monitor will be detected properly during reboot as a 19" monitor and run the desired resolution of 1280x1024.

How can I insure that every reboot results in proper detection of monitor? Or, how can I work around and at least get 1280x1024 resolution by issuing a command which will re-detect or reset Mint?

sudo laptop-detect -v
We're not on a laptop (no relevant hint found)

sudo lshw -C display; lsb_release -a; uname -a; dpkg -1 | grep nvidia
*-display UNCLAIMED
description: VGA compatible controller
product: C61 [GeForce 6150SE nForce 430]
vendor: NVIDIA Corporation
physical id: d
bus info: pci@0000:00:0d.0
version: a2
width: 64 bits
clock: 66MHz
capabilities: pm msi vga_controller bus_master cap_list
configuration: latency=0
resources: memory:fb000000-fbffffff memory:e0000000-efffffff memory:fc000000-fcffffff memory:f4000000-f401ffff
No LSB modules are available.
Distributor ID: LinuxMint
Description: Linux Mint 14 Nadia
Release: 14
Codename: nadia

lspci |grep VGA
00:0d.0 VGA compatible controller: NVIDIA Corporation C61 [GeForce 6150SE nForce 430] (rev a2)
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
AE2100A
Level 2
Level 2

Re: Graphics Video Resolution Randomly Wrong

Post by AE2100A »

This appears to have been solved by unloading the noveau driver and loading the nvidia-settings and nvidia-current drivers from the "software manager". There appears to be no more randomness.
AE2100A
Level 2
Level 2

Post by AE2100A »

Started having problems again. Checked the Software Manager and I now can not find the "nouveau driver" (mis spelled in my last post - "noveau driver"). Also, it looks like "nvidia-current" has been removed while "nvidia-settings" is still installed.

Other things I have looked into without proven success yet: I followed the instructions on http://www.ubuntugeek.com/how-change-di ... randr.html in an attempt to get back to 1280x1024 resolution.

I am back to this situation where at boot up, sometimes Linux Mint 14 detects my monitor and sometimes it does not. I have learned with the xrandr command, when it does not recognize my monitor, the xrandr command returns my monitor as "default" and there is no 1280x1024 resolution listed in the xrandr output. When my monitor is recognized, xrandr returns "VGA-1" and there is a 1280x1024 resolution listed in the xrandr output.
AE2100A
Level 2
Level 2

Post by AE2100A »

I seem to now have a stable system. I have loaded nvidia-settings and nvidia-current. I think the nvidia-current is making the difference, but since my system is now working, I don't want any more experimentation. I believe with nvidia-current installed, I have an app called "nvidia x server settings". The trick appears to go to "X server Display Configuration" and choose 1280x1024 resolution but force it to 75 Hz. This forcing of the frequency seems to be the primary solution. Once that was done, everything has been stable, but the default screen fonts of Linux Mint are not being represented correctly. So, I have had to switch from the defaults to other fonts.
Herbivore
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Herbivore »

Even though no one came to your assistance, I for one am grateful that you posted updates. A friend has a similar problem with his Samsung monitor and Maya Cinnamon. Still researching and working to solve his problem.

Return to “Cinnamon”