[SOLVED] ''(unknown IPP tag)' and cannot be edited.

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
herbie643
Level 3
Level 3

[SOLVED] ''(unknown IPP tag)' and cannot be edited.

Post by herbie643 »

I was searching all over the net and really didn't find a resolution. I have a Kodak printer, yeah I know not well supported, but I kept looking thru Synaptic and for anything referencing IPP. Well it appears that cups-bsd is the package. I installed that and lo and behold, printer works perfectly.

Hope this helps some of you having a problem when you right click on the Printer Properties and get ''(unknown IPP tag)' and cannot be edited. and are unable to print.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
DrHu

Re: [SOLVED] ''(unknown IPP tag)' and cannot be edited.

Post by DrHu »

OK, but checking CUPS setup for that printer should also have enabled that option, IPP (internet Printing Protocol)
http://www.cups.org/articles.php?L+TFAQ
http://www.cups.org/documentation.php/spec-ipp.html
--but if its is also being provided by the bsd printer support files, fine: only you shouldn't really need both bsd and cups to make a printer function, although they don't interfere with each other (being complementary: bsd support being in general for older UNIX/Linuxes )
herbie643
Level 3
Level 3

Post by herbie643 »

Perhaps LMDE has an issue with cups. All I know is that my printer would not work until I installed cups-bsd. Perhaps my install is a bit strange but now functional for printing.
si_kabayan
Level 1
Level 1

Post by si_kabayan »

I had the same problem with HP printers and installin cups-bsd does not solve the probem. For now I always accessing CUPS via the web browser:
  1. open the web browser
  2. go to localhost:631/
  3. click the Administration tab
herbie643
Level 3
Level 3

Post by herbie643 »

Yes, I had seen that resolution here as well. I tried it and it failed. Perhaps it is just the Kodak printer(s) that might need cups-bsd.
Good to hear that your problem was solved. Wish mine had been that easy.

Return to “LMDE Archive”