Think some hardware might have died [SOLVED]

Questions about hardware, drivers and peripherals
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
gibbs1984
Level 5
Level 5

Re: Think some hardware might have died

Post by gibbs1984 »

Hi all,

Apologises for the late response but I've been away for a week or so and just getting time to have a look at my computer.

I've downloaded P5L-VM 1394 Release BIOS 0903 ROM which I believe is what I need to update my BIOS, is this correct?

Next question would be how to update it using a CD ROM as I don't have a floppy disk or drive?

Would this link work OK?

Following this now to try and make a bootable CD.
Linux Mint 20.3 (Cinnamon) 64bit.
gibbs1984
Level 5
Level 5

Post by gibbs1984 »

OK, getting somewhere.

Can't reflash the BIOS at the moment cause my work laptop doesn't give me permissions to install anything so waiting for my brother or sister to text me back so I can use theirs.

Unconnected the Hard Drive, CD ROM and it went a screen further and said about a boot error but I can't seem to replicate that screen :(

Also, when this happened I had to long press on the power button for it to turn off like when the OS is booted but whilst only getting to the boot screen I normally press the power button once and it turns off.

Then went a step further and the bottom half of the screen has cut off, doesn't go any further though.
gibbs1984
Level 5
Level 5

Post by gibbs1984 »

Oh my GOD! I have no idea what is going on but I just reconnected my Hard Drive and CD ROM (whilst all the other cables are unplugged) and it went straight through the boot screen and has started loading my LiveCD that I left in the CD ROM drive, although the count down has finished and we're now stuck on that screen but we're getting there :D

Problem so far is that I can't replicate any of this, it does it once and then next time just gets stuck at the boot screen again.

Think I've removed 1 too many wires from the Motherboard because now the monitor won't turn on :(
gibbs1984
Level 5
Level 5

Post by gibbs1984 »

Woooooooooo Hooooooooooooooooooooo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Took out the RAM and put 1 stick back in and it got stuck at the boot screen, took that stick out and put the other stick back in and I'm now back up and running on my beloved Linux Mint 14!

Thanks everyone for all your help, much appreciated!

Is there any other diagnostics I should run to see if anything else is playing up?

The RAM was a 1gb DDR2 667MHZ, will I be OK to replace it with another 1gb of RAM or can I put in 2gb? Don't know where to check to see if I can have more than 2gb of RAM?

I'm sooooooooo happy right now and glad I believe the computer shop man as I would have chucked my computer! :D
monere
Level 4
Level 4

Post by monere »

gibbs1984 wrote:Woooooooooo Hooooooooooooooooooooo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Took out the RAM and put 1 stick back in and it got stuck at the boot screen, took that stick out and put the other stick back in and I'm now back up and running on my beloved Linux Mint 14!

Is there any other diagnostics I should run to see if anything else is playing up?

The RAM was a 1gb DDR2 667MHZ, will I be OK to replace it with another 1gb of RAM or can I put in 2gb? Don't know where to check to see if I can have more than 2gb of RAM?

I'm sooooooooo happy right now and glad I believe the computer shop man as I would have chucked my computer! :D
Your motherboard specifications should tell you how much RAM your MB can hold. Check the manual, every mobo comes with one
dagon
Level 7
Level 7

Post by dagon »

gibbs1984 wrote:The RAM was a 1gb DDR2 667MHZ, will I be OK to replace it with another 1gb of RAM or can I put in 2gb? Don't know where to check to see if I can have more than 2gb of RAM?
http://www.asus.com/Motherboard/P5LVM_1 ... ifications
Memory
4 x240-pin DIMM, Max. 4 GB, DDR2 667/533/400 Non-ECC,Un-buffered Memory
Dual Channel memory architecture
Either the memory is faulty or it wasn't connecting properly and it was the pulling out/pushing in action that fixed the issue.
You can reseat the failing memory unit in the other position and run memtest (from the boot screen if it gets that far) to see if it finds any errors.
gibbs1984
Level 5
Level 5

Post by gibbs1984 »

monere wrote:

Your motherboard specifications should tell you how much RAM your MB can hold. Check the manual, every mobo comes with one
Cheers, I don't have the manual anymore, got lost in 3 house moves in the last few years :(
dagon wrote:
gibbs1984 wrote:The RAM was a 1gb DDR2 667MHZ, will I be OK to replace it with another 1gb of RAM or can I put in 2gb? Don't know where to check to see if I can have more than 2gb of RAM?
Memory
Either the memory is faulty or it wasn't connecting properly and it was the pulling out/pushing in action that fixed the issue.
You can reseat the failing memory unit in the other position and run memtest (from the boot screen if it gets that far) to see if it finds any errors.
Cool, there's actually 4 slots (2 white and 2 black) so does that mean I have to buy 2 x 1gb sticks of RAM to add another 2gb or can I add a 2gb stick of RAM into one of those slots?

Cheers for the help, I'll try that tomorrow because now I'm going to have a couple of beers and use my computer for a bit :D
dagon
Level 7
Level 7

Post by dagon »

monere
Level 4
Level 4

Post by monere »

gibbs1984 wrote:
monere wrote:

Cheers, I don't have the manual anymore, got lost in 3 house moves in the last few years :(
dagon wrote:
Memory
Cool, there's actually 4 slots (2 white and 2 black) so does that mean I have to buy 2 x 1gb sticks of RAM to add another 2gb or can I add a 2gb stick of RAM into one of those slots?

Cheers for the help, I'll try that tomorrow because now I'm going to have a couple of beers and use my computer for a bit :D
I also have an Asus mobo but it's p5n-e sli.... anyway, that's not the point. I wanted to say that my mobo is also Dual Channel and as far as I know you can only put dual channel RAMs on a DC architecture. So yes, you would have to buy 2x1GB dimms if you want to add 2GB of RAM. Similarly, if you only want to add 1GB of RAM you would have to do it with 2x500MB plates instead of 1GB plate
gibbs1984
Level 5
Level 5

Post by gibbs1984 »

dagon wrote: I also have an Asus mobo but it's p5n-e sli.... anyway, that's not the point. I wanted to say that my mobo is also Dual Channel and as far as I know you can only put dual channel RAMs on a DC architecture. So yes, you would have to buy 2x1GB dimms if you want to add 2GB of RAM. Similarly, if you only want to add 1GB of RAM you would have to do it with 2x500MB plates instead of 1GB plate
Sorry, I'm confused now. If I want to upgrade by 2gb I have to buy 2 x 1gb of RAM but if I want to upgrade by only 1gb I have to buy 2 x 500mb of RAM instead of just a 1gb stick of RAM?
monere
Level 4
Level 4

Post by monere »

gibbs1984 wrote:
dagon wrote: I also have an Asus mobo but it's p5n-e sli.... anyway, that's not the point. I wanted to say that my mobo is also Dual Channel and as far as I know you can only put dual channel RAMs on a DC architecture. So yes, you would have to buy 2x1GB dimms if you want to add 2GB of RAM. Similarly, if you only want to add 1GB of RAM you would have to do it with 2x500MB plates instead of 1GB plate
Sorry, I'm confused now. If I want to upgrade by 2gb I have to buy 2 x 1gb of RAM but if I want to upgrade by only 1gb I have to buy 2 x 500mb of RAM instead of just a 1gb stick of RAM?
Sorry mate! I will admit that I don't know whether or not single dimms work on DC mobos. The reason I told you to buy paired dimms is because that's what my desktop provider recommended me when I bought my computer.

Better to ask for a second opinion. Using paired dimms over single dimms on a DC mobo definitely improves performance (even if it's just 1-2%), but I have no proof that you can't insert single plates on a DC mobo, as well

Sorry if I gave ungrounded advice. Please disregard my advice and wait for an expert advice :)
gibbs1984
Level 5
Level 5

Post by gibbs1984 »

monere wrote:
gibbs1984 wrote:
Sorry mate! I will admit that I don't know whether or not single dimms work on DC mobos. The reason I told you to buy paired dimms is because that's what my desktop provider recommended me when I bought my computer.

Better to ask for a second opinion. Using paired dimms over single dimms on a DC mobo definitely improves performance (even if it's just 1-2%), but I have no proof that you can't insert single plates on a DC mobo, as well

Sorry if I gave ungrounded advice. Please disregard my advice and wait for an expert advice :)
No worries, I appreciate the help. It'll be a couple of weeks before I can order any as I'm really skint at the moment so I have plenty of time to find out :)

Appreciate the help mate :)
monere
Level 4
Level 4

Post by monere »

Ok :)

Hopefully someone who knows better will be able to address that question of yours during this waiting period. But if not, do a google search and see if you can find out. Although, I think Asus themselves may be able to answer that question. Oh well, good luck with your issues and I am sure you will sort it all out
kurok

Post by kurok »

Before you go tossing that ram givving you a problem take a rubber eraiser to the contacts on it then try it again. Sometimes they just get dirty and need to be cleaned. Be sure to clean it well before reinstalling it. This has saved me a little cash in the past.
gibbs1984
Level 5
Level 5

Post by gibbs1984 »

kurok wrote:Before you go tossing that ram givving you a problem take a rubber eraiser to the contacts on it then try it again. Sometimes they just get dirty and need to be cleaned. Be sure to clean it well before reinstalling it. This has saved me a little cash in the past.
Cool thanks for the tip. I'll give it a try :)

It won't bugger anything up though will it, worried that now I have it working that I might make it not work again :D
dagon
Level 7
Level 7

Post by dagon »

gibbs1984 wrote:
kurok wrote:Before you go tossing that ram givving you a problem take a rubber eraiser to the contacts on it then try it again. Sometimes they just get dirty and need to be cleaned. Be sure to clean it well before reinstalling it. This has saved me a little cash in the past.

It won't bugger anything up though will it...
No. It's a way to remove oxides from the contacts.
gibbs1984
Level 5
Level 5

Post by gibbs1984 »

dagon wrote:
gibbs1984 wrote:

It won't bugger anything up though will it...
No. It's a way to remove oxides from the contacts.
OK cool, I'll give it a go in the morning :)
gibbs1984
Level 5
Level 5

Post by gibbs1984 »

OK, just gave the RAM a clean and put it in 2 others slots and it didn't boot up.

When putting it in one of the slots it gave me this message when booting up:

dagon
Level 7
Level 7

Post by dagon »

The memory unit has, for all practical uses, ceased to be. It's dead.
If you feel adventurous though, you can take a hair dryer (fan with heater) and heat the ram/motherboard to some 50 degrees celcius (carefully) and just maybe you can trick the thing into life. The theory being that metal expands from heat and this can help bridge the gap(if this is the case). Most likely it won't work but there are a lot of funny stuff you can do Mac Gyver style.
gibbs1984
Level 5
Level 5

Post by gibbs1984 »

dagon wrote:The memory unit has, for all practical uses, ceased to be. It's dead.
If you feel adventurous though, you can take a hair dryer (fan with heater) and heat the ram/motherboard to some 50 degrees celcius (carefully) and just maybe you can trick the thing into life. The theory being that metal expands from heat and this can help bridge the gap(if this is the case). Most likely it won't work but there are a lot of funny stuff you can do Mac Gyver style.
OK cheers, so only slot 1 will work at the moment then?

Even if I buy another stick of RAM it won't work in any of the other slots then?

Return to “Hardware Support”