starting my first linux machine

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
pandaconda

starting my first linux machine

Post by pandaconda »

i plan to run linux on this old pos netbook that is currently running windows XP i just want this to experiment with linux and surf the internet, what desktop is best? cinnamon or MATE, and do i just run the iso through a virtual drive? will that delete windows? because i dont want to run two OS i just want mint
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
pandaconda

Re: starting my first linux machine

Post by pandaconda »

i was thinking i wanted "nadia" with mate and cinammon but if i get the light xfce will i be missing out on cool features that others have? or will i simply not be able to run the nadia on this machine? is it more demanding than xp?
raymerjacque
Level 4
Level 4

Post by raymerjacque »

from what i can see cinnamon isnt that heavy on resources. maybe uses bit more ram than mate, but not really more CPU or GFX. You can always try the live DVD of cinnamon and see how it runs, if its runs slow then install mate rather.

when you choose to install it will give options of wether to install along side your current os or wether to replace it.
pandaconda

Post by pandaconda »

thanks! i do not have a cd drive so i have to run this through a virtual drive and a flashdrive
raymerjacque
Level 4
Level 4

Post by raymerjacque »

go to http://www.pendrivelinux.com and download and install the universal usb installer 123.'

direct link : http://www.pendrivelinux.com/universal- ... -as-1-2-3/

run it and make a usb installer from the ISO image. then just install linux straight from flashdrive :)
pandaconda

Post by pandaconda »

thanks, but thats not really what im looking for, im looking for this to boot straight to linux by itself, no usb after im done installing
raymerjacque
Level 4
Level 4

Post by raymerjacque »

yes that is what it does.

it makes a live USB that can boot into linux. BUT

once inside linux on the desktop there is a shortcut that is labelled "install linuxmint" and if you run that it installs it on your hard drive. and then you dont need usb anymore.
pandaconda

Post by pandaconda »

if i use UNetbootin to put linux mint 14 with MATE onto a flashdrive how do i install it in place of windows xp? and will i be able to delete linux off the flashdrive in order for it to be normal again?
raymerjacque
Level 4
Level 4

Post by raymerjacque »

I dont think you understand how it works.

Unlike windows Linux has a Live DVD ( the Live DVD or USB is also the Setup DVD/USB ). The iso file you download has built in Live mode. ( if you burn a dvd or put it on flash it doesnt matter ) when you boot from DVD or from flash it will boot into "Live mode". that is how linux is. it allows you to preview the operating system before you install it. Most linux's are like that. Windows boots straight into setup. linux doesnt. it first boots into "live mode" where you can actualy see the operating system before you install it.

once inside live mode there is a install shortcut on desktop. when you run that it will bring up the setup installer. and after that it will ask if you want to install "along side windows" ( meaning you keep windows and run linux as well ) or if you want to "replace windows" in which case it will format your hard drive and install just linuxmint. follow the setup instructions and fill out username and password and stuff...

after the whole setup is done, it will tell you to reboot and remove usb. so you click reboot and wait for it to tell you to remove usb, when it says so remove it and hit enter, then the computer will boot into linux on your hard drive.

you can then format your flash drive and use it for other stuff, linux is now in your PC.

its very easy and simple to do.
pandaconda

Post by pandaconda »

thanks, but one more question, how do i get it to start from the flashdrive? i assume you just use the boot menu?
raymerjacque
Level 4
Level 4

Post by raymerjacque »

You can try boot menu, if that doesnt work you need to enter the bios.

when PC boots up press delete ( or F2 ) to enter the bios. once inside go to boot options and set to boot from usb flashdrive there ( set first boot devise to flash ),youll have to mess with the boot options and priorities inside the bios to get it to work. Once you get the settings right it will boot from flash drive.

after installation is done go back into bios and change first boot device back to your hard drive.
pandaconda

Post by pandaconda »

i have mint with mate running through live cd on a usb drive now, but it wont let me connect to the internet via wifi
raymerjacque
Level 4
Level 4

Post by raymerjacque »

is it not detecting your wifi card or did you try and connect and it wouldnt ?

did you click the wifi icon next to the clock and is it showing available connections ?

if it shows then you must select your network and enter your network key.
pandaconda

Post by pandaconda »

its not detecting the card, i located the inf file of the broadcom thing but its not working? it says driver installed but no wireless networks showing
mmmoira

Post by mmmoira »

thanks raymerjacque, I had been searching for a while now how to install MINT on a netbook without DVD and this was perfect. hope it works!
Cheers :D

Return to “Beginner Questions”