Install Cinnamon in Mate?

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
frsu

Install Cinnamon in Mate?

Post by frsu »

I have Mint 14 Mate installed.

Can I add Cinnamon via Software so I can choose for Mate or Cinnamon via the session chooser?
nomko

Re: Install Cinnamon in Mate?

Post by nomko »

That's possible. However there's a big chance of mixing things together like applications especially developed for to run with MATE will ben visible under Cinnamon and visa versa.

If you really want to run Cinnamon, best to do is install Mint + the Cinnamon DE environment through a clean/fresh setup and not mixing it up with your MATE installation.
TheDynamicHamza21
Level 5
Level 5

Post by TheDynamicHamza21 »

If you install mint-meta cinnamon you will only get some duplicate entries but not a lot but if you install cinnamon you'll get a whole a lot duplicate entries and possible conflicting programs.

When I installed mint-meta cinnamon there was a conflict between nemo & Caja. Nemo hijacked my system placed itself as my default file manager. Same thing for my pdf reader Evince, two different versions of Evince and Gnome Evince placed itself as the default pdf reader instead of the Mate version. I can only imagine how installing the full cinnamon desktop would have done to my system.

It should run reasonably well if your system can handle it providing the quirks,annoyances I mentioned. It shouldn't damage your MATE desktop if things go wrong but you will have ensure you delete anything cinnamon if you decide to delete it later. When I uninstalled cinnamon using the software manager it didn't uninstall everything cinnamon installed. Thus it took a day or so deleting some applications like gedit,nemo,etc. I recommend using the package manager instead to uninstall if/when you decide uninstall cinnamon.
Linux Registered User: # 573034

Hamza21.com
frsu

Post by frsu »

Thanks for the information. Will not do it.
davidfromnewengland

Post by davidfromnewengland »

I installed Cinnamon in Mate, because Mate's software manager wouldn't open, just an unending splash window.
Cinnamon works fine...how can I un-install Mate Maya?
AvanOsch
Level 1
Level 1

Post by AvanOsch »

I installed Cinnamon in MATE just out of curiosity.
BAD CHOICE!
It messed the entire system up!

A lot of stuff is doubled, and the system is totally confused about what programs to use;
Startup applications, background images, power manager...

Unless you're planning to re-install anyway, DO NOT ATTEMPT THIS!
clfarron4

Post by clfarron4 »

The best way to do this is to add the Cinnamon Stable repositories and install Cinnamon 2.0, as that combination works.
htimba

Post by htimba »

I originally installed Linux Mint 16 Mate and the later installed Cinnamon 2.0 through Synaptic Package Manager and I've been using it that way for at least 3 months now. I'm still a beginner/noob so maybe there are conflicts that I'm not noticing or that don't really disturb the functionality of the OS. The only noticeable conflict so far is that when I'm logged in under Cinnamon, which used Nemo by default, Caja will open up when I insert USB stick or SD card, but if I click on the home or computer icon on the desktop, then Nemo opens it. Later on while I was logged in under Mate, I was playing around with the Settings, went into Preferred Applications and under the System tab and I noticed that the file manager was set to Caja, which it should be, but for the sake of it, I switched it to Files. So far the conflict seems to be resolved. When I'm in Mate, Caja opens, and when I'm in Cinnamon Nemo opens. As for duplicates, is there any way to check for duplicate? I noticed in the Menu editor and I have 3 Banshee Media Players but only one of them is checked.
Hoser Rob
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Hoser Rob »

The sort of conflicts/problems that having multiple desktops can cause are deeper and more subtle than the sorts of things mentioned, and they're not necessarily easy to diagnose for advanced users ... who generally won't do it anyway.

It would be better to decide on one and remove the other desktop via terminal. I don't know the names of the meta packages right off hand but you'd want to research it thoroughly. Mate/cinnamon mint versions are ubuntu based so you can find relevant info at their forums.

Before doing that sort of stuff, back up your data and have a fresh md5sum'ed copy of the install iso. Always be prepared to resintall. You'll find that experienced linux geeks have lost their fear of reinstalling.
For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong - H. L. Mencken

Return to “MATE”