Visual C++ runtime library error on wine 1.5

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
kz205

Visual C++ runtime library error on wine 1.5

Post by kz205 »

I am on mint 14 when I try to launch StarCraft 2 on wine 1.5 I get some C error

Microsoft Visual C++ runtime library
Runtime Error!
Program: C...
R6034
An application has made an attempt to load the C runtime library incorrectly.
Please contact the application's support team for more information.

I tried doing $ echo 0|sudo tee /proc/sys/kernel/yama/ptrace_scope before launching the program
and also installing vc2005 via winetricks but with some error
wine cmd.exe /c echo '%ProgramFiles%' returned unexpanded string '%ProgramFiles%' ... can be caused a corrupt wineprefix, an old wine, or by not owning /home/.local/share/wineprefixes/vc2005express

Are there any other suggestions? I read on another forum that the solution may be to install vc2005 manually instead of using winetricks but no instructions were given on that.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
raymerjacque
Level 4
Level 4

Re: Visual C++ runtime library error on wine 1.5

Post by raymerjacque »

you running 64bit mint ?
kz205

Post by kz205 »

yes 64 bit
raymerjacque
Level 4
Level 4

Post by raymerjacque »

ah, maybe that is the problem, i am not sure. When i had 64bit installed i had endless problems with Wine. I switched to 32bit and everything worked. ( btw 32bit Mint supports more than 4GB ram ).

Maybe someone with 64bit can shed some light on the problem.
catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Post by catweazel »

kz205 wrote:Runtime Error!
I'd be inclined to remove 64bit wine, install multiarch and 32bit wine. There is essentially only one cure for C++ runtime errors on real Windows and that's FORMAT C:. Seeing as you're not running in real Windows the only other option is to try the 32bit wine.
"There is, ultimately, only one truth -- cogito, ergo sum -- everything else is an assumption." - Me, my swansong.
kz205

Post by kz205 »

Multiarch seems to be a default package already installed.

Wine seems to have been installed with both 32 bit and 64 bit support automatically. However, when I try to remove the 64 bit part (wine1.5-amd64) from synaptic package manager, it says it has to mark all the other wine packages for removal as well. So, how do I get around this?

Also, supposing I somehow manage to remove the current wine and install a 32bit version of it, must the game also be reinstalled or can I mv the game folder aside for now?
catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Post by catweazel »

kz205 wrote:However, when I try to remove the 64 bit part (wine1.5-amd64) from synaptic package manager, it says it has to mark all the other wine packages for removal as well.
You're probably best off to mark the whole lot for complete removal then reinstall it, along with the game. That's all you can do because there is no cure for a runtime error in Windows. Usually the error is due to corruption but because you're running wine it could be a compatibility issue. I don't know if wine lets you set compatibility options so it's worth checking for that and, if possible, trying its settings.

Failing that, you will need to find someone who has succeeded in getting the software to run in wine and ask them how they did it.
"There is, ultimately, only one truth -- cogito, ergo sum -- everything else is an assumption." - Me, my swansong.
raymerjacque
Level 4
Level 4

Post by raymerjacque »

lol, EVERY SINGLE time i recommend 32bit linux for people that want to run Wine and windows software i get flamed and told it is not recommended. Yet this kind of topic pops up all over the place and they go on for pages trying to make stuff work on 64bit where as in 32bit you click and install and its done in matter of minutes without hassles or problems....

The Main reason most users install 64bit coming from windows is because they are under the assumption "if you have more than 4GB ram install 64bit", Where as 32bit Mint is PAE enabled, it reads more than 4Gb ram ( my PC has 8GB ram, i run Cinnamon 32bit and it shows available ram as 7.9GB ), and dont give me that nonsense of running 64bit is faster and makes more use of your CPU.... People running wine and windows software are FAR better off just installing 32bit and then running wine hassle free....

This topic is prime example of why i always recommend Wine users to simply install 32bit linux, because i too was a windows user, i too came from windows to linux and installed 64bit, then i struggled for days with Wine and eventualy i said screw it, installed 32bit and its been a smooth ride since then.

VERY few apps will make full use of 64bit CPU, VERY few, and regular windows users will RARELY run any such app.... keep that in mind when you again recommend 64bit please.

This poor guy after a few days will start to hate Linux and end up going back to windows, where as his first few days should have been pleasant ones and could have been had my advice been followed at the start.

The only time i would ever run 64bit or recommend 64bit is if the user is actualy going to run any app that will make use of 64bit. other than that its just a waste in my eyes, it eats more ram, has more compatibility issues and is DEFINITELY not wine friendly ...

Coming back to Wine, if you eventualy get wine going do yourself a favour and install the following :

Code: Select all

.netframework 1.1, 2.0, 3.0, 3.5, 4.0  <--- many games will use these, and it will make running stuff so much easier in the long run.
MSXML 3.0   < --- quite a few games make use of this.
d3dx9_36 <--- this is required by ANY game.
All the Runtimes VC++ 2003, 2005, 2008, 2010  <--- these too are used by many games and apps.
If you get the above installed, your wine experience will be SO much smoother and less headaches. the netframeworks can be tricky to install, but they do work. The trick with .netframework is to skip past the errors. 1.1 gives an library error, yet says sucessfully installed, so move onto 1.1sp1, it will do the same so ignore error, move onto 2.0, it will give error as well, run it again and choose repair, it should work, then run 3.5 and if it gives any errors then install it manualy and it should work, any errors ignore and re-run and choose repair. ( if you get stuck with frameworks just check WinHQ, alot of work arounds on there ) Once you get past 3.5 its all downhill, 4.0 should install without any problems and i actualy think 4.0 fixes alot of the errors the others popup cause once its installed everything just works.

Im currently running my 3 favorite games via wine, Torchlight II, Need4speed Hot pursuit 2010 and Elder scrolls skyrim. and they all work without problems, just click, install, put shortcuts on desktop and play ...
catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Post by catweazel »

raymerjacque wrote:lol, EVERY SINGLE time i recommend 32bit linux for people that want to run Wine and windows software i get flamed ... Where as 32bit Mint is PAE enabled, it reads more than 4Gb ram ( my PC has 8GB ram, i run Cinnamon 32bit and it shows available ram as 7.9GB ), and dont give me that nonsense
On the subject of nonsense, no 32-bit application can access >4GB of RAM, no matter how much you have installed.
raymerjacque
Level 4
Level 4

Post by raymerjacque »

and pray do tell what application do you know of that uses 4GB of ram or more ? If you name one then you must have some serious memory leaks, My whole Os uses just little over 1GB and i have alot of stuff open, lots of aplets running in background , opera, watching movie, people copying from my external via network, chatting in pidgin etc etc.

Remember the limitation is per App, not the sum of everything that is open. 4GB per App is more than plenty, there is no game even that uses full 4GB of ram.

to sum it up :
So how does this magically tweak work ?

It is simply. This tweak pretty much hacks the kernel to support Physical Address Extension or PAE . Basically all processors do have PAE , what PAE does is that it allows 32-bit OSes to see more than 4GB of RAM. It acts as a translator , trying to break the limit of 32-bit. Yes there is a limit , but with the help of CPU , the limit can be broken and the Operating System can someone see this RAM. Instead of accessing directly , it uses PAE to acts a translator to address memory location beyond the 4GB realm. Remember that 32-bit processor can only address 4GB of memory space , this extends it to 36-bit (or sometimes up to 40-bit). So with the help of CPU and if the OS (Operating System) supports PAE , you could address this issue. For some reason Microsoft did not enable it for Home Operating Systems such as Windows. However PAE is enabled in many other Operating Systems such as MacOSX 10.5 and above and Linux (provided the 32-bit kernel is compiled with PAE)

What are the drawbacks ?

There is one – you are still limited by the law of physics and computing. Well , you can’t play God here !. Since our system is 32-bit , therefore the instructions are still in 32-bit and we are still bounded by 32-bit instructions .Suppose if you have 6GB of RAM and you have PAE turned on and you want to use Lightroom for instance – even at most Lightroom can only use up to 4GB. It can’t use anything beyond that. This is because that the instructions are in 32-bit still. So in other words applications can only ‘see and use’ up to 4GB. Anything beyond that , they can’t use at all.

If that’s the case , what are the advantages ?

Firstly you would have more memory which means that you could run more applications on your 32-bit system. Without PAE enabled (suppose if you have 8GB of RAM installed , Windows would only see and address up to 4GB). Imagine if you want to run photoshop and lightroom concurrently , it would not be possible. However with PAE turned on you could run these programs in main memory. Even though the application can only use maximum up to 4GB of RAM. You could now able to load these applications in RAM directly which should increase your productivity (since program takes less time to load if they are located in memory compared to hard disk)
unless you are running some serious stuff like cad programs and such, there is no reason to worry about the 4GB limit per app.
catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Post by catweazel »

raymerjacque wrote:and pray do tell what application do you know of that uses 4GB of ram or more ?
VirtualBox, for one.
If you name one then you must have some serious memory leaks
No. Take another wild guess.

I'll save you the bother. I'm a software developer. I have a dual intel xeon E5 2650 with 32GB of RAM and 6TB of HDD in hardware RAID10. I need to run a virtual server farm.

HTH
kz205

Post by kz205 »

This is what I did to finally get it to work. Turns out I simply had to purge wine and reinstall the latest version.

Go to the terminal and do

1. sudo apt-get purge wine
2. sudo apt-get purge wine1.4
3. sudo apt-get purge wine1.5
4. rm -r ~/.wine

I had to do all three wine purges as they are somehow all separate from each other. This should get completely purge any wine from the system. Then,

5. sudo apt-get autoremove

to remove all other wine dependencies that are not being used like winetricks.

6. Restart the computer (maybe not necessary, but why not)

7. sudo apt-get install wine1.5

After this, I installed StarCraft 2 again and it worked just fine.

I still don't know what the root of the problem is but I guess it had something to do with wine1.4 and wine1.5 having some conflict as I installed 1.5 after 1.4. Anyway, I appreciate everyone's comments and advice. I think we can mark this as solved.
catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Post by catweazel »

kz205 wrote:This is what I did to finally get it to work. Turns out I simply had to purge wine and reinstall the latest version
Meh. Kudos to me.

Return to “Software & Applications”