Display Issues: Aah! Toshiba Satellite L775D-S5104

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
xenion

Display Issues: Aah! Toshiba Satellite L775D-S5104

Post by xenion »

Hello fellow Minty Penguins. So I have this laptop:
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://us.toshiba.com/computers/laptops ... 55D-S5104/
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
It is pretty functional, even now. However, the problems im having, is that the graphics glitch up in corners of the screen upon a successful boot. Also when I go to play a game like Team Fortress 2 or Minecraft, it will ocasionally stop working mid-play and the screen will try to reconfigure, and it will blink black. Also there are times when I can't even boot successfully. For example, I'll select the mint cinnamon 64 boot selection option and there will be no white blinking dot or anything besides my screen flickering from on to an off mode at around 10 second intervals. The fail to boot usually follows the screen glitch that freezes my computer during Team Fortress 2 or a bad minecraft run, when I have to manually shut off my computer. Im able to use the operating system and everything works pretty functionally, besides when the pixels freeze up.
So I think I may have installed wrong, but I also think it may have to do with the AMD Radeon HD 6520G graphics onboard the laptop. I was browsing the forums earlier for a solution to my problem and found there were problems with other AMD Radeon graphics cards. My graphics card I don't believe was included but maybe it should be.
Any and all help would be appreciated :? . Thanks guys.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
xenion

Re: Display Issues: Aah! Toshiba Satellite L775D-S5104

Post by xenion »

NOTE: This tutorial assumes you have prior knowledge with terminal/command prompt. To understand what I talk about here, I highly recommend learning the information found here: http://cli.learncodethehardway.org/book/

So for anyone else having this trouble. I found the solution to the glitch. It was with the graphic-card drivers. The drivers they give you with the Mint 14 are good, but not what the screen is quite meant for. So heres what you do; download the proprietary driver for your system.

Proprietary Driver Support for ALL AMD cards:
http://support.amd.com/us/gpudownload/Pages/index.aspx

Unzip/Unpack it, go to properties, allow the file to be executed, change all permissions to read/write permissions. Now go to your terminal, use the cd command to change directories to where-ever you downloaded the AMD driver of your choice in the terminal, and use the command: ./yourDOWNLOADEDgraphicsCARDdriverHERE
That should start to execute the shell code they give you for the linux install. If your on windows and are having this problem, well, I don't know what to tell you; Get Mint:D

WARNING: I have found now, that if I run games like Minecraft, Steam Launcher, Runescape. They do not work. I repeat, the glitch is gone, but there are just not enough libraries yet for these types of games. They worked okay before I did this, granted I couldn't see a 1/10 of the screen, but that really wasn't that problematic on a 15.6inch display.

Hope that helped and if there is anyone who has the same problem or other I may be able to push you in the right direction.

Cheers, Xenion.

Return to “Installation & Boot”