cant find drivers

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
pandaconda

cant install drivers?

Post by pandaconda »

i want to run wifi with my small compaq mini110 netbook and i wrote down the location of the drivers in windows so i could find them with windows wireless drivers, but it only supports .inf files, when i looked at my device properties in windows xp they listed .sys files and it will not install drivers
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
passerby

Re: cant install drivers?

Post by passerby »

When looking on one of the installation CDs for included Windows drivers you may see the .inf file.
Once installed, the inf files generally aren't installed to the same directory.
Take a look in C://Windows/INF/
You may need hidden files to be visible.
http://forums.techguy.org/windows-xp/37 ... files.html
pandaconda

Post by pandaconda »

i see those, but how do i know which one is for my particular wireless card?
passerby

Post by passerby »

Open the terminal and run

Code: Select all

inxi -i
to get your wireless card, then attempt to locate the corresponding inf file.
Or you can open the driver CD and locate the inf file on there, if you have it.
pandaconda

Post by pandaconda »

the driver is nowhere to be found :( i just wanna surf the web with this thing lol
pandaconda

cant find drivers

Post by pandaconda »

i have a compaq mini110 netbook and want to install from a live usb linux mint 14 with MATE, but when i run it live i cannot find my drivers? i look on windows xp and i see 2 things under network devices, an "atheros ar8132 ethernet controller" and a broadcom 802.11 b/g wlan i dont know which i should install but when i find the drivers, they are not inf files, only sys files. and i dont know in the windows/inf folder which ones belong to which device.
pandaconda

Re: cant find drivers

Post by pandaconda »

i know the driver name is bcmwl5 but it is a .sys file and im so confused
cecar

Post by cecar »

Look at this post and see if it helps you.

http://community.linuxmint.com/tutorial/view/379
TheDynamicHamza21
Level 5
Level 5

Post by TheDynamicHamza21 »

pandaconda wrote:i have a compaq mini110 netbook and want to install from a live usb linux mint 14 with MATE, but when i run it live i cannot find my drivers? i look on windows xp and i see 2 things under network devices, an "atheros ar8132 ethernet controller" and a broadcom 802.11 b/g wlan i dont know which i should install but when i find the drivers, they are not inf files, only sys files. and i dont know in the windows/inf folder which ones belong to which device.

Does you internet work when using the live dvd? If so you don't need to install drivers.
Linux Registered User: # 573034

Hamza21.com

Return to “Beginner Questions”