Upgrade question

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
admiralsboy888

Upgrade question

Post by admiralsboy888 »

This has probably been asked a million times. A link to the topic answer is all I ask for. Is there a way to upgrade to Mint 14 without a complete reformat and loosing all my installed programs/data? Thanks for your help!
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
passerby

Re: Upgrade question

Post by passerby »

You can probably point your repos to nadia and do it that way, but the cleaner way to do it is to make a separate /home partition.
It doesn't store your programs (well, for the most part), but it does store your application configurations and such.

Any particular reason for wanting to move to 14? Most of the changes are available by enabling backports.
admiralsboy888

Post by admiralsboy888 »

No reason in particular except I purchased a (used) multifunction printer and can't get it to print. I have that posted in another section, but haven't really had any help so far. Read in another post that upgrading solved some driver issues. How do you enable backports?
passerby

Post by passerby »

Open Synaptic and go to Settings > Repositories (or, if it's in your menu, just click on software sources)
In the "LinuxMint Software" tab there should be 6 checkboxes. Tick the one for backports, close the window, refresh your package list.
admiralsboy888

Post by admiralsboy888 »

Got that done. Thanks. Also ran Update Manager, but nothing updated.
FireSoul
Level 3
Level 3

Post by FireSoul »

admiralsboy888 wrote:This has probably been asked a million times. A link to the topic answer is all I ask for. Is there a way to upgrade to Mint 14 without a complete reformat and loosing all my installed programs/data? Thanks for your help!
Hello.
If you have free space on your harddrive you can install Mint14 with old system ant see how it works in your computer .
I'll test all before install.From live DVD can use most of things.

I have seen if old system use for usb 1 and new usb 2,then old printer don't works with new system and new system works with new printer.
Here are many users who can help more.
admiralsboy888

Post by admiralsboy888 »

Hadn't thought of running it "live" like that. LOL! Thanks! Too much stuck in Window$ think, I guess.

Return to “Beginner Questions”