Updating Kernel?

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
Zombifish

Updating Kernel?

Post by Zombifish »

How do I update the kernel to more stable release And should I do this? Thank you.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
passerby

Re: Updating Kernel?

Post by passerby »

You can, but to go above 3.5 you'll probably need to upgrade to an unstable version of libc6.
What is your current kernel?
Zombifish

Post by Zombifish »

I'm using 3.2.0-4-amd64 that came with default LMDE KDE 64bit version.
passerby

Post by passerby »

There should be an upgrade to 3.5 somewhere in the repos. You may need to enable certain repo's; not sure where it is exactly.
If not, you have two options.

1. Try using a precompiled one (eg. http://www.upubuntu.com/2012/09/how-to- ... 54-on.html )

2. Compile it yourself.
-Go to: http://kernel.org/
-Grab the source code from your selected kernel (I'd try 3.5.7; I think you can compile it with the default libc6)
-Unzip it somewhere convenient. You'll need at least 5 or so GB on the drive in question, and probably 1GB or so free on your root
-Open a terminal inside of the folder you extracted
-Install ncurses-devel, if you don't already have it
-Run the following:

Code: Select all

make menuconfig
Customize the kernel, if you want, or just exit out of there.
After that run:

Code: Select all

make -j4 && make modules -j4 && sudo make install modules_install -j4
where 4 is the number of threads you have available. eg. on a quad core machine you can run -j8.
The -j arguments are optional, but if you're on a multi core machine it's much faster.
Zombifish

Post by Zombifish »

Thank you. Going to work with what you gave me. See how things goes.
rop75
Level 2
Level 2

Post by rop75 »

The question is why you want to update the kernel?

Debian testing (and LMDE) have been using the same version of the Linux kernel for the last 6 months. If you want to move to a more recent release, you will have to edit your sources.list and get the latest version from experimental (read LMDE FAQ to know how to do that)... I would never advise a newbie to do that.

PS: Remember that Ubuntu is not Debian, and so Linux MInt is not Linux Mint Debian Editioon. If you are using Linux MInt DEBIAN edition, you should not use packages designed to be used with Ubuntu , Linux Mint and derivatives
zerozero

Post by zerozero »

Zombifish wrote:Thank you. Going to work with what you gave me. See how things goes.
please don't :shock:
see rop75's post above.
why do you need a new kernel? do you really need it? there's any hardware issue that needs to be addressed?

if you want or need there's ways with debian compatible kernels to achieve what you want. just don't install random ubuntu based kernels in a debian system.
Zombifish

Post by Zombifish »

It's a learning road. I see that there is no need for me to update. I have been playing around with different distro. Debian works for me. LMDE version has been the best bit for me to stay with and play around with. So here on out I'm gonna stick with the unofficial LMDE KDE version. It works compared to anything else I have used on my laptop. I don't know much into the linux world so gonna step back a little bit. I'm learning and seeing lots of new things.
catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Post by catweazel »

Zombifish wrote:It's a learning road.
Then by all means upgrade it, but do a backup first. Clonezilla saved my neck just yesterday after I upgraded my kernel to 3.7.6. Of course, the "upgrade" totally bricked my system. From that I learned "if it ain't broke, don't fix it."
"There is, ultimately, only one truth -- cogito, ergo sum -- everything else is an assumption." - Me, my swansong.

Return to “LMDE Archive”