Multiple instances of same application

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
LindseyD.
Level 4
Level 4

Multiple instances of same application

Post by LindseyD. »

I've just installed Mint8 KDE CE, and so far I'm very pleased, but a few things are driving me nuts, and I'm hoping someone can tell me how to fix them. (More in separate posts.)

Every time I click on a file, a new instance of the relevant application opens, rather than using the one that's already open. i.e., if I click on a text file in Dolphin, I get a 2nd instance of Kate, rather than using the one that's already open. Same for VLC, and OpenOffice.

Is there some way to say "reuse same instance of app?"
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Mint17 KDE
feed3
Level 4
Level 4

Re: Multiple instances of same application

Post by feed3 »

For vlc, you can set it to only allow single instance. open vlc, press ctrl+p, on interface settings, just after the skins section, tick the box for allow only one instance.
As for the other, it same goes to me unless if i open the text file,then using ctrl+o to open another text file, it will not open in the other kate's instance but rather will open it on the new tab so it is not bothering me though.. :)
LindseyD.
Level 4
Level 4

Post by LindseyD. »

feed3 wrote:For vlc, you can set it to only allow single instance.
Thanks. I'll try that. Wish I could find a similar button for the others, though. They used to work that way.

EDIT: At least I found a way to do it for Kate:
1. Configure Kate to load the last used session on startup and save sessions on exit, and enable the window configuration session element.

2. Add:

--use %U

to Kate in Menu editor.
Mint17 KDE
Sam234

Post by Sam234 »

LindseyD.
Level 4
Level 4

Post by LindseyD. »

Thanks for the reply, Sam234. I'm now on Mint13 KDE and the problem no longer exists. But that's a good article to read.
Mint17 KDE

Return to “Software & Applications”