On the verge of giving up.

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
White Rabbit

On the verge of giving up.

Post by White Rabbit »

I know that this is my first post and I believed, when I switched from win7 to mint nadia, that I will register here with the nick "Happy User" or something like that, but I am really far from it.

Now, the reason why I chose linux was because I hate big corporations and on the other hand like stability.
I was aware that linux is compatible with some programs and not with others, and that was fine, but there are some really big flaws that I just cannot shut my eyes to:

1. When I installed Nadia, I encountered a resolution problem. My output was DVI and my monitor has an analog output/input (I'm not an English speaker so I hope you will pardon my poor explanation) and confuses Nadia.
I tried google out the solution and tried just about a dozen of options, but none of them worked.

2. I tried to download teamviewer, but failed because it is impossible to do so (I googled for a solution and failed again)

3. I cannot download updates for Nadia because it gives me information that it cannot download (I just tried to copy/paste the information and my computer froze.

At this point, I am not sure how long I will try to find solutions to these problems, but the way I see it, I will have to switch back to win 7 :(
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
gibbs1984
Level 5
Level 5

Re: On the verge of giving up.

Post by gibbs1984 »

Have you tried using MATE instead of Nadia, maybe it'll work better for you and your computer?

Where did you download TeamViewer from as this link has a link to a .deb file which will work in the same way as a .exe file on Windows, i.e. just double click it and it'll install.

Overall it sounds like your Nadia desktop isn't running too well, what's the specs of your computer so that technical people will be able to help more?
Linux Mint 20.3 (Cinnamon) 64bit.
robw

Post by robw »

Hi White Rabbit,

Your English is fine!!

I can't give answers to your questions but answered now because it sounds like you are desperate! Let me try to go forward here...

1. I think we're going to need more information on this point. What exactly is the problem which is confusing Nadia? Have you tried going preferencs>displays.detect monitor? Any information you can supply would help.

2. As far as I can tell, Teamviewer is a Windows program and will therefore not work with linux. However, I'd be willing to bet there is a similar programme available for linux and hopefully someone will be able to advise you.

3. I'm not sure how you're trying to update. It should be just a matter of going to Update Manager (usually by clicking the shield on the panel but you can also find it by menu>administration>update manager. Supply your password and it should collect the list of updates (if you get an error message here just select 'close'.) You should then just have to click 'install updates' and the computer should do it automatically. If this is what you've tried please let us know what is wrong.

I tried Linux about 5 years ago and did give up, it was just too hard. It has moved on now and I would urge you to persevere. It might be that once you get these issues sorted out you might be a 'happy user' after all! Good luck!
transcendev

Post by transcendev »

Not sure what kind of video card you have, but you probably just need to install the proprietary drivers in order to get your resolution corrected.

Teamviewer is available for Linux. I've installed it without issues (though, I use Arch Linux). You might try installing it through the mint software repository if it's in there, otherwise use Synaptic Package Manager. If it's available for install on Mint, it'll most likely be found there.
Otherwise, download the .deb file found here: http://www.teamviewer.com/en/download/linux.aspx and make sure you pick the correct version for your Mint version (32 or 64)...
Detonate

Post by Detonate »

I recently had some problems with unsatisfied dependencies when Installing Teamviewer 64 bit on Nadia Mate. However it was fixed a couple of days later after running updates to my system, then it installed fine and works fine. Sometimes this happens if the mirror you are using for your updates is behind in having the latest info. This was an installation from the downloaded deb file from the Teamviewer web site, and not from the Nadia repositories. At that time the version from the web site was a later version than the one in the repositories, but I just checked and the one in the repositoies is the same as my installed version. So

Code: Select all

sudo apt-get install teamviewer7
should work.
White Rabbit

Post by White Rabbit »

@transcendew - I use ati radeon 5670
Tried to install TW from that link. I picked the last one "Other systems (not officially supported)", but couldn't install it. I fount the tutorial in how to do so on the
web http://www.liberiangeek.net/2010/04/how ... o-windows/
but failed on the "open with ubuntu software center" part. It only shows me "archive manager" option and I cannot make ubuntu software center default.

@robw -
1 that was, naturally, my first choise, but it gave me only two options. None of those options suits my monitor. I guess the problem is the fact that my video card has only digital output and my monitor only analog. (this is where my English gets worse) I have this.... thing... that connects with videocard on one side and cable on the other that allows me to connect monitor and computer. Now, I guess this is why my Nadia cannot give me the correct resolution.

3 yes, I click on the shield and let it do its thing, but at one point a window "could not download all repository indexes" pops up.

@gibbs1984 I wanted to try Nadia because it is the latest model and I thought it is the best. I guess I was wrong :S
My specs.... I can't remember, but roughly: processor: amd phenom be 3.1 dual core, 4gb of ram, video card: ati radeon 5670, 500gb hdd (can't remember which one)

Thank you all for your time you took to help me :)
MALsPa
Level 8
Level 8

Post by MALsPa »

White Rabbit -- Sorry I don't have any suggestions for any of your issues, but I wanted to say this: If you do end up going back to Windows, it might be worth your while to keep a Linux installation going, either on another computer or in dual-boot set-up.

Back when I started with Linux, I wasn't ready to give up Windows, I simply needed to have it around. It took some time, tinkering, picking up tidbits of info here and there, and just trying different things. Finally, one day I noticed that the only reason I was still logging into Windows was to update the system. So I got rid of Windows, and it's been only Linux ever since.

Just wanted to offer a little encouragement and say, "Don't give up." Keep in mind that there are lots of people out there who have freed themselves from the Windows world; if they can do it, you can too. If you stick with it, you'll be glad you did.
White Rabbit

Post by White Rabbit »

Is there an easy way to "switch" from Nadia to Debian?
TheDynamicHamza21
Level 5
Level 5

Post by TheDynamicHamza21 »

White Rabbit wrote: Tried to install TW from that link. I picked the last one "Other systems (not officially supported)", but couldn't install it.
There lies your problem you should have chosen the first link Ubuntu, Debian. Mint is based on Ubuntu. There's no need to compile from source when there's .deb file.
I wanted to try Nadia because it is the latest model and I thought it is the best. I guess I was wrong :S
The latest version does mean best when dealing with Ubuntu and Ubuntu based distros. Most versions that are not LTS (Long Term Support) are buggy,especially these last two years. They should really call them Beta releases since most are Beta quality versions.
White Rabbit wrote:Is there an easy way to "switch" from Nadia to Debian?
The Debian version is not "easier" then the main Mint if that what you looking for. It's not for linux newbies. I would recommend trying out Mint 13 Maya LTS version. The issues with the repository seems to be a Nadia issue not a Maya one.

I have one question though did you monitor resolution work the way you wanted when testing the live dvd/usb? If something works using the live dvd/usb it usually works when you install the OS. It's rare when it doesn't.
Linux Registered User: # 573034

Hamza21.com
catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Post by catweazel »

TheDynamicHamza21 wrote:
White Rabbit wrote:Most versions that are not LTS (Long Term Support) are buggy,especially these last two years. They should really call them Beta releases since most are Beta quality versions.
Rubbish.
"There is, ultimately, only one truth -- cogito, ergo sum -- everything else is an assumption." - Me, my swansong.
TheDynamicHamza21
Level 5
Level 5

TehGhodTrole wrote:
TheDynamicHamza21 wrote:
White Rabbit wrote:Most versions that are not LTS (Long Term Support) are buggy,especially these last two years. They should really call them Beta releases since most are Beta quality versions.
Rubbish.

That may not be your experience but many users have said the exact same thing as I have.
Lucid 10.04 was great Maverick 10.10 was buggy as hell. Natty 11.04 was only marginally better than Maverick. Oneiric 11.10 was not different than 11.04. Lucid was more stable than all the six month releases following it. You may not agree but frustrated users in Linux would agree with me. But that's Linux; it can work well for some,work horrible the many or work well for the many and work horribly for some.

Hamza21.com
White Rabbit

Post by White Rabbit »

@TheDynamicHamza21
Thanx for the info on teamviewer subject. I managed to download and install it
Now, is there an easy way to install Maya over Nadia?
xfatherjack

Post by xfatherjack »

Try-out Linux on your Windows system using a REVERSABLE procedure, taking up a little space on your Hard-Drive.
Download ubuntu 12.04, it's LTS (long term support) and "Linux-Mint 13 Mate" ISO (which is based on ubuntu 12.04 LTS).
In the "ubuntu 12.04" ISO there is a file.. 'wubi.exe', and....
in the "Linux-Mint 13 Mate" ISO there is a file 'mint4win.exe'.
Copy these files to your Windows>Download Folder or wherever you choose.
Select (1) one of them and 'Run' it in your Windows system, choose to install it on 32GB Drive-size if you have the space (remember, you can always get the space back).
It will [temporarly] install either Ubuntu OR Linux-Mint on your system (depending on your choice).
This is not 'virtual' it's the real thing, you can update and load anything you want on there.. limited only by the size of the drive
TO REMOVE THE INSTALLATION at a later time, just 'run' the same file, it will delete the 'old' linux installation before it can prooceed with a 'fresh' install, STOP there/then (after the 'delete, DO NOT PROCEED any further and you will have ALL yoour HD back, You can then try-out the other version.

From reading your posts, I think you know far more about software than I do.
ONE MORE THING, on 'ubuntu' using the 'symantic' software-installation tool you can load a programme/package called "wine". OR you can install it fron the 'Terminal' (the same as MSDOS)
with a command...." sudo apt-get install -y wine ".
'wine' will 'install'/Run most Windows programes.... IF YOU THINK YOU NEED THEM!
You may think NOW that you can't live without Windows programes, but I'm telling you, "YOU CAN LIVE GREAT WITHOUT THEM!"
I'm sorry to say i'm no GEEK, I don't dnow the first thing about software, I'm Just a 72 year old adventuirer who gets everything from/on the Linux Software REPOSITORIES, 'UbuntuGeek', the FORUM help and other places like that.
Don't give up, Linux has everything just stick with it, Find a 'Version' you like, and in six months time you will be giving me advice on how to use twitter/facebook or some other STRANGE thing... if I survive that long.
buena suerte.
Last edited by xfatherjack on Mon Feb 11, 2013 9:14 pm, edited 3 times in total.
TheDynamicHamza21
Level 5
Level 5

White Rabbit wrote:@TheDynamicHamza21
Thanx for the info on teamviewer subject. I managed to download and install it
Now, is there an easy way to install Maya over Nadia?

Downgrading is not recommend;it's possible though. You would have to change to software sources to mint 13 repositories and but that very likely will break your system. My advice is back up your data and then install Mint 13 Maya. It's a pain I know, but when dealing Linux all users had at one time or another had to reinstall their OS, same as with Windows.

Hamza21.com
xfatherjack

Post by xfatherjack »

I just tried your " For a nice looking Screen at night ",
It didn't work....
$ sudo apt-get install redshift
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
E: Unable to locate package redshift

Do you need to load a Repository?
White Rabbit

Post by White Rabbit »

Thanx again for all your help, guys. Now, tell me, from your experience, which is the best mint for newbies?
Should I download Maya or some other versions?
I just hit another problem. When I try to print something, it happens that an info that I'm printing, and a few seconds later that printing is finished pops up, but printing doesn't happen.
I'm willing to try another version. Advise me which one :D
Thanx
usbtux

Post by usbtux »

White Rabbit wrote:Thanx again for all your help, guys. Now, tell me, from your experience, which is the best mint for newbies?
Should I download Maya or some other versions?
I just hit another problem. When I try to print something, it happens that an info that I'm printing, and a few seconds later that printing is finished pops up, but printing doesn't happen.
I'm willing to try another version. Advise me which one :D
Thanx
If you have a broadband connection - why dont you just download one at a time and try them as live usb?
Get the Mint experience...

http://youtu.be/pq2bsTh_dDs How to use unetbootin to make a liveusb
gibbs1984
Level 5
Level 5

Post by gibbs1984 »

Or I think it'll be easier for a newbie to use a LiveCD, so burn the .iso file to a DVD and use that to try each version.

It's always best to try them via a LiveCD first anyway to see if you can see any problems before you install it.
Linux Mint 20.3 (Cinnamon) 64bit.
White Rabbit

Post by White Rabbit »

omg, I cannot believe I didn't remember to do that.... I burned Nadia before I installed it. I'll do that
White Rabbit

Post by White Rabbit »

and what does redshift do?

Return to “Beginner Questions”