acpi boot parameters boot issue

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
athysrock

acpi boot parameters boot issue

Post by athysrock »

Hello,

First off noob so if I get anything wrong please correct me.

This is a complicated issue and I have taken quite a few steps to try and replicate and rectify it. I am running Mint 14 MATE x64 with the boot parameters of acpi=enable pci=assign-busse acpi=ht. I can get it to boot with those parameters but within the last few day I am getting the blank screen associated with acpi boot issues. To add to the confusion my MBR record for my Windows 7 partition also went missing and I had to recover that. This is going to sound stupid but I have to hard power cycle it at least three times and mess with the boot parameters by adding and deleting them in order to get it to boot past the blank screen or blinking underscore. I really don't think that hard cycling it has anything to do with it nor the boot parameters but I am just lost. Any suggestions. I'm running it on an asus u46E.

Thank you in advance. Im at work and if more information is required I will attempt to answer it on memory until I get home.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
cwsnyder

Re: acpi boot parameters boot issue

Post by cwsnyder »

I think you need to read this thread (http://askubuntu.com/questions/52096/wh ... olapic-etc ) as well as whatever you were reading. The thread which rose to the top with those options was very specific to a particular Toshiba laptop. If you don't match the hardware exactly, you may be harming your hardware.
athysrock

Post by athysrock »

Well the laptop that I have is not old per say. Only 1 to 2 years of age. I am going to attempt to update the bios though. See if that will help.

Kernel 3.5.0-17-generic is my kernel.
athysrock

Post by athysrock »

Okay so ive tried updating the bios. This didnt work. I am still having to attempt many different combinations before the computer boots. It is not consistent either. Some times it will boot with acpi=force some times it wont, sometimes it will boot with acpi=enable pci=assign-busse acpi=ht some times it wont, but it always boots with acpi=off, which i know is dangerous. Im at a loss.
athysrock

Post by athysrock »

I was able to capture exactly when the boot process stops. It stays here, fan stays at full throttle, and cpu runs hot.

http://i.imgur.com/v5ZvPUe.jpg
athysrock

Post by athysrock »

The solutions after working and changing boot params over and over was "noapic"

Return to “Installation & Boot”