How do I completely update my live USB persistent install

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post please read this

How do I completely update my live USB persistent install

Postby antioch on Sun Feb 10, 2013 6:37 pm

I have a 16Gb USB thumbdrive with a live installation of LinuxMint 13 LTS using MATE with over 9Gb of persistence installed on it.

I have updated Firefox, LibreOffice and other pieces of software to be sure that known problem fixes are in place and software updates are current. However, I would guess that I have other components (Packages) that should be updated, but I don't know which they are. I know that if I update the kernel, I risk breaking my installation.

If I run "Synaptic" and sort by the icon column, it shows many Packages that have an exclamation point, "!", in the column icon.

How do I update that which needs updating without updating the kernel and breaking my install?

Do I use Synaptic or is this something that needs to be scripted?

Which packages, if selected, would risk updating the kernel?
antioch
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: How do I completely update my live USB persistent instal

Postby antioch on Sun Feb 10, 2013 6:47 pm

I just saw that the ! indicates software that is installed and needs updating. However, my guess is that if I select the package "linux-headers-generic" I might break the install.

How do I lock the entire kernel so I don't risk updating and breaking it?
antioch
Level 1
Level 1

Postby antioch on Sun Feb 10, 2013 6:51 pm

If I run Synaptic and sort by Section (instead of by Icon) and "lock version" everything listed under (Section) kernel, will that be sufficient to prevent me from ever altering the kernel and breaking the install?
antioch
Level 1
Level 1

Postby petercolt on Tue Feb 12, 2013 9:57 am

antioch wrote:If I run Synaptic and sort by Section (instead of by Icon) and "lock version" everything listed under (Section) kernel, will that be sufficient to prevent me from ever altering the kernel and breaking the install?

I think this solution may work in your situation.
petercolt
Level 1
Level 1

Postby antioch on Tue Feb 12, 2013 6:25 pm

I also notice that there some packages "linux-..." listed under "metapackages" and "devel" as well.

If I select all updated packages that don't start with "linux-" will that prevent me from updating the kernel and wrecking my thumbdrive install?
antioch
Level 1
Level 1

Return to Software & Applications