start menu missing after reboot

Please post suggestions for improvement of Cinnamon on:
https://github.com/linuxmint/Cinnamon
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
jonezy187

start menu missing after reboot

Post by jonezy187 »

I have recently installed Mint 14 and on initial boot the start menu is there. i installed all the programs i needed and then rebooted. now the start menu along the bottom is missing. all i can see is my desktop items. I don't know what has gone wrong? can someone help please?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
CupOfCoffee

Re: start menu missing after reboot

Post by CupOfCoffee »

Hmm, are you able to press the Start button on your PC (or the Menu key for Mac) and have it appear? I wish I had a picture of your desktop so I could try and figure out what could be going on. The Panel could just be set to Auto-Hide.

I'll help you in any way that I can!

-CupOfCoffee
jonezy187

Post by jonezy187 »

I can run terminal and enter mintmenu to show the menu button, but it opens as a window rather than the bar along the botton. so the computer is fully functioning but just the menu and bar along the bottom don't show up. I'm not on the Linux machine at the moment but i can post a screenshot later on. I've read elsewhere that it could be something to do with Nautilus or Nemo but i'm still a beginner with Linux so don't really understand what they are?
CupOfCoffee

Post by CupOfCoffee »

Natilus, Nemo = File Managers 8) Hmm, I'm not sure at the moment what the problem still is, I'm really having no problems with my desktop... :o

I probably can't answer very many questions in this forum...
CupOfCoffee

Post by CupOfCoffee »

Oh, I found a solution! I found it from Xenopeek on http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=47&t=114906.
xenopeek wrote:Right-click on an empty spot on the panel, choose "Add to Panel" from the menu that popped up. Add the "mintMenu" and you should have the menu back.

Hope this helps! :wink:

Note: Since this quote was for a previous version of Mint (Mint 13, Maya I think), for Cinnamon you would right-click on an empty space in the panel, select "Add applets to the panel", and find the option called "Cinnamon Menu" and select it! :D
urrvile

Post by urrvile »

I'm having the same problem in Mint 13 MATE: I rebooted last night and the whole bottom panel disappeared, leaving me unable to access anything except by key commands. Also, the mouse can go beyond the borders of the screen and get lost. Hours looking have not given me any ideas on what to do. Please advise!
Geneva

Post by Geneva »

And, I'm having the same problem in 32bit Linux Mint 13 Cinamon. After an update on the 12th there is no panel along the bottom of the screen
All desktop icons are present and I can invoke apps from the terminal...
... so I backed up all my data and reloaded Mint 13 (using the nomodeset option, otherwise it locks on a black screen) this worked Fine, so I udated the Nvidia driver and Codecs.. No problem so far
then I activated the update manager and after the full update with config files replaced, the panel is again missing
I shall try this again without replacing configs, just to eliminate (or confirm) their complicity,
Of Note; is that the same update has given no problems on my old Asus F3ja Laptop with ATI 1600 graphics, it looks like it may be related to my hardware possibly the graphics card
so still looking for a solution .. if I find something I'll post it
Geneva

Post by Geneva »

Ok having investigated this it appears that the bad boy is: nvidia-common
On my system with GT 240 graphics card the update to this is what causes the panel to dissapear
It may be the same with other systems using the nvidia GT 2xx series, not having any others cards of that series I cannot compare. however I already knew there was a problem with my card as nouveau doesn't seem to recognise it on initial load of live disc or install (which is why 'nomodeset' has to be used). Anyone out there in Mint development land listening???
So what I did to fix this was; do a clean Mint 13 OS install (no problem with data loss as I have /home in a separate partition)
update the nvidia graphics driver, from the Hardware popup
then install updates packages as follows
from the first screen the update manager opens, the Level 1 mintupdate (currently 4.3.9)
Then from the next screen of updates, All Level 1 and 2 updates
and in Level 3 everything Except 'nvidia-common', its about #39 down the list of Level 3 update packages (there were 509 of them)
Answer 'yes' to replacing the config files, as this is a clean install and they have nothing to do with the panel vanishing.
Then reboot and the panel should still be there... This is not really a fix more a work-around which worked for me and my hardware :-)
... Note however, there will be still an outstanding nvidia-common update package in the update manager (I think one has to live with it, perhaps it'll get fixed, I don't think it's Mints fault though)
Hope this helps someone else ... if so put a post up and let us know what you did (also, if you did something else)
InaudibleMason

Post by InaudibleMason »

This happened to me on LMDE Cinnamon after I modified the default symbolic link for python to point to python3.2 instead of the default python2.7. When I switched it back and rebooted everything was fine. The command to get it working again was "sudo ln -s /usr/bin/python2.7 /usr/bin/python". You may have to delete the current symbolic link first with "sudo rm /usr/bin/python".
humandib

Post by humandib »

Hi, I run Linux Mint 14 and I had that same problem.
I don't know if the previous suggestions worked for U, but when I tried they didn't work...
However, I managed to fix mine by loging out using CTRL+ALT+BACKSPACE <--{That takes you to the login screen}
Then right below theres 4 icons, I believe that the second one from left-to-right will let you change the session type, since I preffer MATE I made it the default one, but you can change it anytime.
Brahim Salem

Post by Brahim Salem »

That's mainly caused by installing many desktop enevironment at the same time! You'll notice that your desktop icons don't appear sometimes! To fix this just delete the /.config in your home directory! Note that this will delete all your settings!It is like reset to defaults!

If you ever face an issue with your desktop icons not showing up after you installed Cinnamon on Linux Mint Mate edition, that's most probably because nemo and nautilus are competing over desktop control. To solve this you have to disable nautilus from startup if you want to use Cinnamon or nemo nemo if you want to use Mate. Both of them are hidden from startup applications and to make them show up in the startup apps run :

for nemo:

Code: Select all

sudo sed -i 's/NoDisplay=true/NoDisplay=false/g' /etc/xdg/autostart/nemo-autostart.desktop

for nautilus:

Code: Select all

sudo sed -i 's/NoDisplay=true/NoDisplay=false/g' /etc/xdg/autostart/nautilus-autostart.desktop
and then launch Startup Applications and uncheck the one you don't need at startup.

[url=http://postimg.org/image/j5kjlw6wh/][img]http://s8.postimg.org/j5kjlw6wh/Screenshot_from_2013_10_21_02_58_10.jpg[/img][/url]
mekalu2k4

Post by mekalu2k4 »

I am facing the same problem. My OS: linux-mint-Rebbaca-mate 17.1. It happens quite often. Very annoying. The panel will be there, just the start button disappears. On bottom left there is only one icon 'show desktop'. When I right click on empty space on the panel, the desktop context menu appears; but not the panel. Above methods did not work for me. Not sure how to get over with this. My machine is Dell xps 18.4 touch tablet. So, I have to launch file manager and go to /usr/bin and then click on chromium to go onto internet. Cannot open other applications, do not know how to locate some of them.

My problem is same as shown in this youtube video http://youtu.be/3cnKs1cWMbw

Return to “Cinnamon”