Turn off bluetooth at boot

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Idefix87

Turn off bluetooth at boot

Post by Idefix87 »

Hi all,

I do not see an option to turn off the bluetooth at boot. After searching I found a solution, but I that is a workaround and I'm not sure if it is the right solution.
The solution I found was to make a cron that kills the bluetooth at every boot. But there has to be a command first that starts the bluetooth right? What is that command and can I change that one?
I also tried the BUM manager, but that did not work out for me.

Thanks in advance!
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
robw

Re: Turn off bluetooth at boot

Post by robw »

Don't have a BT adaptor so I'm not sure. I assume you've tried preferences>startup applications? I'd guess that is a BT adaptor was found the system would start the daemon automatically. Perhaps you can deselect it here?
Idefix87

Post by Idefix87 »

Hi,
Indeed I looked at preferences>startup applications, but the bluetooth was not there. I think it is some kind of hidden process that is started automatically. For now I solved this problem by adding the command 'rfkill block bluetooth' in that window. Only Iḿ not sure if this is the proper way to do it.
homerscousin

Post by homerscousin »

I am running KDE. I don't use bluetooth. I went to system settings, startup and shutdown, service manager and unchecked the box labled BlueDevil. That's what KDE calls it. I used to run Mint 13 Cinnamon and I think I found something there also.
Idefix87

Post by Idefix87 »

Sorry for the late reply. I do'nt have a service manager or at least I couldn't find it ;)
The only thing I found was the start up applications and there the BT was not mentioned. Therefore I added the commando to kill the app at boot, because I can't find where it is started.
Maybe in a next edition it will be easier to find it :roll:
eanfrid

Post by eanfrid »

If your want to disable BT at boot-time, you only have to blacklist the bluetooth module (=driver) in order to prevent the kernel from loading it on reboot.

Code: Select all

sudo echo "blacklist bluetooth" > /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist-BT.conf
Then you can purge most of the Bluetooth-oriented packages (a few libs cannot be removed since it would completely uninstall some essential parts of your DE and/or destroy it).

Edit: on a working bluetooth-enabled system you should have something like these results

Code: Select all

$ lsmod|grep blu
bluetooth             147960  24 bnep,btusb,rfcomm
rfkill                 13361  2 bluetooth
crc16                   1288  2 ext4,bluetooth
and if BT is disabled, "lsmod|grep blu" will return no result.

Return to “Beginner Questions”