automount without opening?

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
SandrA

automount without opening?

Post by SandrA »

Hi
I've got music on an external hard drive which mounts happily. It also opens as a folder window though, which I don't want it to do. I'm sure there's a very simple preference to change this but the only ones I can find are to do with CDs etc.
Please help!
S
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
jungle_boy
Level 7
Level 7

Re: automount without opening?

Post by jungle_boy »

What LM are you using?

LM11; LM12; LM13 or LM 14

What DE?

(mate, kde, cinnamon, xfce, lmde, lxde, fluxbox)
Samsung Odyssey, Octa-core, i5 9300H, Geforce GTX 1650, 16GB RAM, SSD SAMSUNG NVMe 500GB
LM 21 Cinnamon
SandrA

Post by SandrA »

I'm sorry, it's LM 14 / Cinnamon.
S
gibbs1984
Level 5
Level 5

Post by gibbs1984 »

A popup should open asking you what you want to do, select nothing and tick the check box.
Linux Mint 20.3 (Cinnamon) 64bit.
SandrA

Post by SandrA »

I've certainly seen that under Windows but not with this OS. Is there a way to get to the preference this popup would offer if it doesn't show?
Thanks,
S
jungle_boy
Level 7
Level 7

Post by jungle_boy »

SandrA wrote:Hi
I've got music on an external hard drive which mounts happily. It also opens as a folder window though, which I don't want it to do. I'm sure there's a very simple preference to change this but the only ones I can find are to do with CDs etc.
Please help!
S
Main Menu>System Tools>System Settings>System Section>Details>Removal Media

Check "Never prompt or start programs on media insertion"

Close.

No CD, no DVD, no usb stick, no media will start automatically, only will be mounted.
Samsung Odyssey, Octa-core, i5 9300H, Geforce GTX 1650, 16GB RAM, SSD SAMSUNG NVMe 500GB
LM 21 Cinnamon
gibbs1984
Level 5
Level 5

Post by gibbs1984 »

SandrA wrote:I've certainly seen that under Windows but not with this OS. Is there a way to get to the preference this popup would offer if it doesn't show?
Thanks,
S
Strange, certainly does when mount anything on my LM14 Cinnamon desktop.

So you've never seen anything like the below?

Linux Mint 20.3 (Cinnamon) 64bit.
SandrA

Post by SandrA »

Thanks guys. In Preferences I have:
CD audio & DVD video set to Ask what to do; Music player & Photos to Do nothing; Software to Autorun Prompt; under Other Media settings set to Ask what to do.

I did get the popup window gibbs1984 mentions when I first started using LM but there doesn't appear to be an option that covers my external drive, which apart from a couple of .txt. files exclusively has audio files on it. Or at least I'm not understanding how to find the option.

Maybe I should just set all of these menu options to Do nothing ...?

A confused Sandra
caribriz

Post by caribriz »

jungle_boy is right -

Check the box at the bottom of the System Tools > System Settings > Details > Removable Media screen
System Settings Details.png
SandrA

Post by SandrA »

Thank you very much for pointing me back to jungle.boy's posting and apologies to him that I hadn't read his message properly. My reading of opening a 'program' didn't encompass opening a folder, which just got in the way of doing exactly what he had suggested.

Fixed now - many thanks again - I promise to read postings more carefully in future (!).

x S
jungle_boy
Level 7
Level 7

Post by jungle_boy »

OK.

Thanks caribriz by help me with the snapshot!

[SOLVED]
LM 21 Cinnamon

Return to “Beginner Questions”