TF2 black screen issue

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
mastermind16X

TF2 black screen issue

Post by mastermind16X »

I've recently installed the beta Steam on Mint 13 MATE 64-bit and have installed Team Fortress 2 on it. When I go to load the game it gives me a black screen and a cursor. Eventually I can see some images, but the text boxes are blacked out and most of the image is blacked out, too. Does anyone else encounter this problem and does anyone know how to fix it? My graphics card is an Intel HD 3000 Integrated Graphics card. My processor is an Intel i5 dual core processor and my computer model is an ASUS u56e Notebook PC.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
TheBigH
Level 1
Level 1

Re: TF2 black screen issue

Post by TheBigH »

Can you post the output of

Code: Select all

glxinfo | grep OpenGL
I suspect you have the same problem as me, in which case it's likely unfixable. According to this thread, the problem is drivers for older Intel cards not playing nice with OpenGL, and neither the Steam people nor the Intel people are interested in fixing it.

Edit: Actually, scratch that pessimism. You might just be in luck, since you've got an Intel 3000. Go to the second page of the thread I linked to and look for a post by "Chuckaluphagus", which may help you.
mastermind16X

Post by mastermind16X »

OpenGL vendor string: Tungsten Graphics, Inc
OpenGL renderer string: Mesa DRI Intel(R) Sandybridge Mobile
OpenGL version string: 3.0 Mesa 8.0.4
OpenGL shading language version string: 1.30
OpenGL extensions:

These are the results of the code. I haven't looked at the thread yet, hopefully it will help.
mastermind16X

Post by mastermind16X »

It caused no change to enable the S3TC.
The screen isn't completely black, but none of the text is visible. Where buttons should be there is a dark outlined rectangle. The picture of the character appears, but I can't see anything else.

Return to “Software & Applications”