Wheezy probably not in February

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
zerozero

Wheezy probably not in February

Post by zerozero »

found this today
http://nthykier.wordpress.com/2013/01/1 ... s-january/
relevant part
A bit of simple math put us at 99 RC bugs fixed since last and an average of about 2.4 RC bugs fixed per day (up from 1.8 ). Assuming a constant rate, we would be able to release in about 100 days or 3 months (plus 1 week or two) from now. If you want the release earlier than that, fix RC bugs even faster! :)
following this rc bug fixing rate we might have wheezy announced as debian 7 around mid april (give it or take it)

how does it affect lmde?

- (my understanding) but probably we won't have another UP before a month(ish) after the freeze is over and even that will depend on how testing will behave at the time
- users following testing and sid will have a few more boring months ahead :lol:
- the end of the deep-freeze can be more violent than expected (it's an immense backslash of packages to bring from sid/experimental to testing)
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
rop75
Level 2
Level 2

Re: Wheezy probably not in February

Post by rop75 »

That's good news... I am so nice and warm in this frozen Debian that I can't be bothered to play with bugs and broken systems at the moment.

And I do agree with you, when Wheezy stable is released, Jesse testing is gonna be like a roller-coaster... Saint Clonezilla, saint Clonezilla protect us all !!
zerozero

Post by zerozero »

rop75 wrote:Saint Clonezilla, saint Clonezilla protect us all !!
:lol: testing/sid users best friend 8)
nunol
Level 9
Level 9

Post by nunol »

That means the next LMDE ISO should work ok pointing to stable.
zerozero

Post by zerozero »

nunol wrote:That means the next LMDE ISO should work ok pointing to stable.
yes, the new iso should be released soon, during wheezy's deep-freeze what makes that procedure an upgrade (with proper tweaking of the sources.list)
zerozero

Post by zerozero »

an update on this
https://lists.debian.org/debian-kernel/ ... 00124.html
Hi,

We're somewhat overdue with the next Squeeze point release (6.0.7) and
it'd be good to get it done before the wheezy release, so that we can
pull in some upgrade fixes. As an opening gambit, some proposed dates,
all of which appear to currently work for me:

February 23rd

March 2nd

March 9th

Regards,

Adam
so no wheezy before march 9th
ukbrian

Post by ukbrian »

@zerozero +1
Thanks for the update
cwwgateway

Post by cwwgateway »

Thanks for the update. I'm kinda looking forward to the freeze ending - I'm getting unhealthy urges to install Arch :lol: .
tdockery97
Level 14
Level 14

Post by tdockery97 »

A good example that our forums are much geekier than Ubuntu's. :lol: I think a huge number of their users use LTS versions. Over here we get bored easier and want the next new challenge.
Mint Cinnamon 20.1
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Post by xenopeek »

Notably, there are some here that get restless when nothing has broken on their machine that week :lol:

I'm looking forward to the release though... But I'll wait for quality.
cwwgateway

Post by cwwgateway »

xenopeek wrote:Notably, there are some here that get restless when nothing has broken on their machine that week :lol:

I'm looking forward to the release though... But I'll wait for quality.
I haven't had anything break in months :( :lol: . While I like a good breakage now and again, I am hoping/planning to use wheezy for some/most of my production work, so I'd also like it to be a very high quality release.
tdockery97 wrote:A good example that our forums are much geekier than Ubuntu's. :lol: I think a huge number of their users use LTS versions. Over here we get bored easier and want the next new challenge.
I can honestly say that I have never done a full install (I've done VMs, mint4win's, and installs on external hard disks) of non-LTS releases (I've done one Mint 9 install and a number of Mint 13 installs). However, I have an Arch install now and a Debian Sid install, so I guess I get disqualified :lol: . Thankfully I'm afraid enough of Arch's partitioning process that I won't install it on my main machine :lol: .
GeneC

Post by GeneC »

Image.... :mrgreen:
cwwgateway

Post by cwwgateway »

GeneC wrote:Image.... :mrgreen:
:lol:
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Post by xenopeek »

Oh, brilliant! :lol:
mockturtl

Post by mockturtl »

The countdown is now 202.

Looks like early Q2 trajectory to me, in April.
ddurdle
Level 3
Level 3

Post by ddurdle »

Thanks for all the updates, everyone.
Etruser

Post by Etruser »

I am wondering: Will we get the bugfixes from wheezy in a new UP?
cwwgateway

Post by cwwgateway »

Etruser wrote:I am wondering: Will we get the bugfixes from wheezy in a new UP?
I think the next UP will be after wheezy is released, so all of the bug fixes will be applied. However, new package versions will start migrating into testing, so these packages may introduce new bugs.
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Post by xenopeek »

RC1 for Wheezy was released yesterday: http://lists.debian.org/debian-devel-an ... 00005.html.
rop75
Level 2
Level 2

Post by rop75 »

hI,
Have you read the latest Distrowatch weekly magazine?, apparently we will have to wait long to see the new Debian stable release. I guess some of you might find this a bit boring / disappointing, but from my point of view, there is no hurry (I find this frozen testing very convenient).

From the latest Distrowatch weekly magazine (http://distrowatch.com/weekly.php?issue=20130304#news):

One of the major highlights of 2013, at least in the world of Linux distributions, will undoubtedly be the stable release of Debian GNU/Linux 7.0, code name "Wheezy". So where do we stand in terms of getting the release ready? Niels Thykier gives us an update: "According to UDD, we are down to 204 release-critical (RC) bugs (down from 249, since my last post). It is not quite the 2.4 RC bugs per day - actually it is about 1.1 RC bug a day. Unfortunately, we do not appear to be fixing bugs faster than we are reporting them at the moment. If you look at Richard Hartmann's post from last week, then we had 206 RC bugs left. Even worse, we appear to have regressed between week 7 and 8 of this year (194 to 206). If you want the Wheezy release to happen soon, please consider helping us by providing bug fixes that comply with the Wheezy freeze policy. If the pace of RC bug fixes do not pick up, the alternative is that the release team 'deals' with the bugs. Note that 'deals' generally falls into one of 2 categories. Either we defer/ignore the problem for Wheezy or we remove affected packages from testing. Particularly, if we have to remove packages, they may take reverse dependencies with them as collateral damage."

Return to “LMDE Archive”