Unable to change Cinnamon language

Please post suggestions for improvement of Cinnamon on:
https://github.com/linuxmint/Cinnamon
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
jpkmaster

Unable to change Cinnamon language

Post by jpkmaster »

Hello

I have tried a lot of tricks with the locale command, exporting env. variables like LANG, LC_ALL and such, but I still can not completely change the language of Cinnamon nor it components. Most of them are still in english.

I have lots of weird things like having the gnome-control-center in in Spanish but cinnamon language support dialog in English! Cinnamon menu, the terminal, and its components are also in english. (and terminal has problems trying to render unicode characters also).

my locale file

Code: Select all

LANG=es_CL.UTF-8
LANGUAGE=es_CL.UTF-8
LC_CTYPE="es_CL.UTF-8"
LC_NUMERIC="es_CL.UTF-8"
LC_TIME="es_CL.UTF-8"
LC_COLLATE="es_CL.UTF-8"
LC_MONETARY="es_CL.UTF-8"
LC_MESSAGES="es_CL.UTF-8"
LC_PAPER="es_CL.UTF-8"
LC_NAME="es_CL.UTF-8"
LC_ADDRESS="es_CL.UTF-8"
LC_TELEPHONE="es_CL.UTF-8"
LC_MEASUREMENT="es_CL.UTF-8"
LC_IDENTIFICATION="es_CL.UTF-8"
LC_ALL=es_CL.UTF-8

Please help.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
viking777

Re: Unable to change Cinnamon language

Post by viking777 »

This is a REAL long shot :o (in fact it means I can't think of any sensible answer)

In my file - /etc/default/locale - the opening two lines have quote marks around them and yours don't. It would be really mad if that made any difference, but sometimes there is a very fine line between computer logic and madness. So why not try:

LANG="es_CL.UTF-8"
LANGUAGE="es_CL.UTF-8"

And if that works, let me know and I'll buy a lottery ticket this week :lol:
jpkmaster

Post by jpkmaster »

Yeah I was thinking about that too, but I cant add quotation marks to an environment variable (thats what the LOCALE displays to me, not the /etc/default/locale file which in fact, has quoatition marks)

Some interesting stuff; locale -a command shows the UTF-8 charmap of my avalaible locales as ".uft8" and not ".UTF-8"

Code: Select all

kmaster-GA-MA78LMT-S2 kmaster # locale -a
C
C.UTF-8
en_AG
en_AU.utf8
en_BW.utf8
en_CA.utf8
en_DK.utf8
en_GB.utf8
en_HK.utf8
en_IE.utf8
en_IN
en_NG
en_NZ.utf8
en_PH.utf8
en_SG.utf8
en_US.utf8
en_ZA.utf8
en_ZM
en_ZW.utf8
es_AR.utf8
es_BO.utf8
es_CL.utf8
es_CO.utf8
es_CR.utf8
es_DO.utf8
es_EC.utf8
es_ES.utf8
es_GT.utf8
es_HN.utf8
es_MX.utf8
es_NI.utf8
es_PA.utf8
es_PE.utf8
es_PR.utf8
es_PY.utf8
es_SV.utf8
es_US.utf8
es_UY.utf8
es_VE.utf8
POSIX
But "UTF-8" is an available charmap when I execute locale -m
kecskebeka

Post by kecskebeka »

I have something similar with Hungarian in LM 13 cinnamon. I have a strange mix of languages. Most of the stuff in is Hungarian but the Menu will remain English. Language support will not chage this. Some pop up windows will have English titles and Hungarian explanations. LM 14 has everything in Hungarian. But I still want to use 13. Can anyone help?
abnvolk

Post by abnvolk »

Maybe the Hungarian translation for the Shell part of Cinnamon is incomplete. Cinnamon uses some GNOME applications, and GNOME probably has a larger translation team...
kecskebeka

Post by kecskebeka »

Yeah, but they should at least warn people about not having a full Hungarian translation. They have a Hungarian website and not a word is said about it.

Return to “Cinnamon”