Cron won't reload background images

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
jimwg

Cron won't reload background images

Post by jimwg »

Greetings!

The Cron tutorials on YouTube say this should reload the background image to create a slide show once a minute but doesn't. What am I doing wrong?

*/1 * * * * "xfdesktop -reload"
# Edit this file to introduce tasks to be run by cron.
#
# Each task to run has to be defined through a single line
# indicating with different fields when the task will be run
# and what command to run for the task
#
# To define the time you can provide concrete values for
# minute (m), hour (h), day of month (dom), month (mon),
# and day of week (dow) or use '*' in these fields (for 'any').#
# Notice that tasks will be started based on the cron's system
# daemon's notion of time and timezones.
#
# Output of the crontab jobs (including errors) is sent through
# email to the user the crontab file belongs to (unless redirected).
#
# For example, you can run a backup of all your user accounts
# at 5 a.m every week with:
# 0 5 * * 1 tar -zcf /var/backups/home.tgz /home/
#
# For more information see the manual pages of crontab(5) and cron(8)
#
# m h dom mon dow command
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
jimwg

Re: Cron won't reload background images - CRON OVERHEAT

Post by jimwg »

Greetings!

Something in my cron script addition to create XFCE slideshows has made our laptop run very very hot and blacked out the desktop image screen (though panels show), the sensors meter shows three instances of Xdesktop and Xdesktop-sessions running simultaneously. To prevent burnout I switched to MATE session who runs far cooler. How do I purge the pernicious cron script so we can use XFCE again? Thanks for any hints!

Jim in NYC
rdanner3

Post by rdanner3 »

jimwg wrote:Greetings!
[...snipped for brevity...]
How do I purge the pernicious cron script so we can use XFCE again? Thanks for any hints!
Should be doable via MATE.

What's making your machine hot (and slow, no doubt!) is the fact you're running 3 instances of XFCE due to the problem script. Right now, you can use the terminal to type in crontab -e to edit the crontab. When you run this, use the "#" symbol at the far left of the line to comment-out the offending script. You then save out the edit. This will disable the script causing the problem, so you can edit it without overheating the machine.
jimwg

Post by jimwg »

rdanner3 wrote:
jimwg wrote:Greetings!
[...snipped for brevity...]
How do I purge the pernicious cron script so we can use XFCE again? Thanks for any hints!
Should be doable via MATE.

What's making your machine hot (and slow, no doubt!) is the fact you're running 3 instances of XFCE due to the problem script. Right now, you can use the terminal to type in crontab -e to edit the crontab. When you run this, use the "#" symbol at the far left of the line to comment-out the offending script. You then save out the edit. This will disable the script causing the problem, so you can edit it without overheating the machine.
Thank you! I needed that hint! I don't know whether I should keep a new desktop script topic of a semi-related problem or delete the topic and transfer it here, seeing how readily help is available here! Thanks!

Jim in NYC

Return to “Xfce”