Where to find things

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Stewbond

Where to find things

Post by Stewbond »

I am new to Mint, but have been enjoying it exclusively for a month now with no regrets or thoughts of installing Windows again.

I do have a general question regarding customization. Everything seems to be in a config file somewhere, but where can I find this sort of information (other than google)?

Example: I installed Wine + Diablo III on Cinnamon. My Panel menu now has a "Wine" folder, and "Diablo III" is now in the "Others" folder. I'd like to delete the "Wine" folder and move "Diablo III" to "Games". I'd love to know how to do that, but more importantly, I'd love to know where I can find this information without consulting the forums.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
AlbertP
Level 16
Level 16

Re: Where to find things

Post by AlbertP »

You can edit the menu by right-clicking it > Edit.

I agree that there's not much documentation for using Cinnamon right now. You can probably get faster answers to your questions in the chat (XChat in the menu). But now you've got an answer within 10 minutes. Not bad for a forum, isn't it?
Registered Linux User #528502
Feel free to correct me if I'm trying to write in Spanish, French or German.
Stewbond

Post by Stewbond »

Yep, 10 minutes is amazingly fast. Thanks.

I copied the command of the original menu item to move the location of the Diablo 3 launcher. However, the icon is now a generic rocket instead of the fancy D3 icon.

Is there a central repository for HowTo's and other documentation for Cinnamon? If I find an answer somewhere, I'd like to contribute what I learn to save others time.
AlbertP
Level 16
Level 16

Post by AlbertP »

Documentation for Cinnamon developers is at GitHub: https://github.com/linuxmint/Cinnamon/wiki

I don't know if that is the right place for end-user documentation. Maybe if I don't forget it, I can discuss this with the Mint team. Probably a Wiki for end-users could be created.
Registered Linux User #528502
Feel free to correct me if I'm trying to write in Spanish, French or German.
gibbs1984
Level 5
Level 5

Post by gibbs1984 »

Stewbond wrote:Yep, 10 minutes is amazingly fast. Thanks.

I copied the command of the original menu item to move the location of the Diablo 3 launcher. However, the icon is now a generic rocket instead of the fancy D3 icon.

Is there a central repository for HowTo's and other documentation for Cinnamon? If I find an answer somewhere, I'd like to contribute what I learn to save others time.
I find I have to download the icon from Google as a .png and then save it in /usr/share/icons/Mint-X/apps/48 making sure that you open the 48 folder as root.

Then you can just click on the icon in the same place you put your command and select your correct icon.
Linux Mint 20.3 (Cinnamon) 64bit.
Stewbond

Post by Stewbond »

Wow perfect!

I didn't realize that the "Icon" was a button in that GUI. Selecting it let me find the original icon which was already on my machine. It was located in:
~/.local/share/icons/hicolor/48x48/apps/
gibbs1984
Level 5
Level 5

Post by gibbs1984 »

Glad it helped :)
Linux Mint 20.3 (Cinnamon) 64bit.

Return to “Beginner Questions”