Lost start menu LinuxMint 14 Nadia MATE

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
faizulrahim

Lost start menu LinuxMint 14 Nadia MATE

Post by faizulrahim »

Hi, got a problem after installing the flightgear package. I lost my mintmenu and launching apps from desktop resulted in errors like reporting I ran out of diskspace. So I can't really determine what caused the problem - is it because of flightgear or I just ran out space in the root volume.

Adding the mint menu resulted with the following error:

The panel encountered a problem while loading "OAFIID:MATE_mintMenu".

I am still new to Linux; appreciate if anyone can help me..I would not want to resort to re-do a clean installation.

What should I do?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
sbratton

Re: Lost start menu LinuxMint 14 Nadia MATE

Post by sbratton »

I've got the same with LMDE, after purging the package manager files to save some space on my USB flash disk install.
My other thought as to the cause was damage to files on the USB flash drive (it's getting on in years and possibly begining to fail)
OR loss of a config file.

The best I came up with was to re-add the applet to the task bar
Right click on the task bar and select add
Select mint advanced menu
This doesn't give the full Mate menu but it's enough to get going.

You're not alone with your problem I've seen others.

I'm going to install XFCE as a temporary fix until I find a proper solution.

Steven
faizulrahim

Post by faizulrahim »

yeah..thanks for undertstanding..I am pretty sure the problem is due to the disk space issue..
Anyway..I can try edit the root partition give with more space ( currently root volume is 20GB), maybe giving it 80GB would solve the issue.
The only concern is resizing the partition may risk system not booting at all..
Otherwise, got no choice but reinstall Nadia MATE from scratch let the overall wizard set the proper partition size.. I think I'lk do just that..
Anyway, at some point in time, I would face the same problem soon..

anybody know how to force the system bind directories to another volume as if it is part of Root volume?

Thanks..
sbratton

Post by sbratton »

Does this help ?
http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.p ... 53#p623938

Related to a python upgrade, rolling back python seemed to work in this case. Could well be what I did with mine, I'll check tomorrow when I can get my flash drive back

it''s in the Mate section of the desktop forum.

Steven
faizulrahim

Post by faizulrahim »

hey thank you very much.. since I am a noob..what's the command line to roll back to previous python version.. looking at the referral site cant find actual instructions..
I guess flightgear package is the culprit with shaky dependencies/repos..
anyway.we should track this so that other folks can learn to avoid this issue..
ok thanks again.. nonetheless, I think at this juncture, I am going to do full linuxmint re install- Oh boy..what a week...
faizulrahim

Post by faizulrahim »

I noticed that I am also getting this error at startup:

Couldn't initialize plugin applications : Traceback (most recent call last):

File "/usr/lib/linuxmint/mintMenu/mintMenu.py", line 337, in PopulatePlugins
MyPlugin.do_plugin()

File "/usr/lib/linuxmint/mintMenu/plugins/applications.py", line 1301, in do_plugin
self.Todos()

File "/usr/lib/linuxmint/mintMenu/plugins/applications.py", line 556, in Todos
self.buildButtonList()

File "/usr/lib/linuxmint/mintMenu/plugins/applications.py", line 574, in buildButtonList
self.updateBoxes(False)

File "/usr/lib/linuxmint/mintMenu/plugins/applications.py", line 1578, in updateBoxes
newCategoryList = self.buildCategoryList()

File "/usr/lib/linuxmint/mintMenu/plugins/applications.py", line 1725, in buildCategoryList
for child in menu.directory.get_contents():

AttributeError: 'NoneType' object has no attribute 'get_contents'
faizulrahim

Post by faizulrahim »

sbratton wrote:Does this help ?
http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.p ... 53#p623938

Related to a python upgrade, rolling back python seemed to work in this case. Could well be what I did with mine, I'll check tomorrow when I can get my flash drive back

it''s in the Mate section of the desktop forum.

Steven
Well, it somehow gave some reasons why the issue occured. Then again since I am a noob at Linux, I didn't have a clue about how to actually remove the pythong 3 and roll back to ver. python 2.7..I had no luck because there are so many repos/libs in the 'Package Manager' and I was actually guessing..anyway thanks for the tip even though I failed to resolve the issue. So last resort I had to do fresh Mint installation
faizulrahim

Post by faizulrahim »

Hi all, it's seems like it's taking quite a bit to resolve this issue..so I've made fresh installation after trying with not much clue about how to get rid the python3 and rollback back to the previous version..So would be great if anyone can share if they have resolve the issue..

Last night I just made fresh installation of LinuxMint..

My brute force workaround (installing fresh Mint) works when everything else fails..

Anyway, just for our record the issue started after installing FlightGear from Software Manager. I installed it unattended and I wasn't aware of any trips during the installation.

The actual problem started after I ran the FlightGear program - it started out by initializing itself and disappears after that with no error message. So I thought running it again, and this time round I kept the window to always on top so that it would not disappear. Great, I get the menubar with the full options but the program would not run at all.

I thought maybe rebooting the machine would allow on the internal repo dependencies initialize properly.

The boot sequence went normal with the splash screen etc...but I realise I lost the default mintMenu (Advanced Menu) located at the bottom left corner of the screen.

I tried to add mintMenu from 'Add to Panel' feature but could not, instead got errors.

I also tried the installing and removing some packages, libs in the 'Package Manager' - but I was actually guessing which libs to remove and install and I did not have any success but only to come to same errors I got from the beginning..'mate-panel --reset' didn't work and a host of other commands just didn't work.

Anyway, to economize time I resorted to installing fresh Mint from ground zero..

Lets hope this wouldn't happen again so soon..

Thanks sbratton it's nice to know that I am never alone...
faizulrahim

Post by faizulrahim »

Hey, Accidentally after installing fresh MINT, I recreated the problem where I lost the mintMenu.

This is what had happened.

I was customising the date format of the system to match my locale. So I tweaked 'en_IE' file in /usr/share/i18n/locales directory.

The whole procedure was describe here

I was sleepy and unaware I fumbled typing the wrong text in the file and rebooted the system and managed to recreate the problem.

I rolled back by restoring the original "en_IE" locale file by performing this command sequence (I can't promise it would work, give it a try - anything goes wrong I am not responsible) :

Code: Select all

cd /usr/share/i18n/locales

sudo cp en_IE custom

sudo localedef -f UTF-8 -i custom custom.UTF-8

sudo pluma /etc/environment
5.Add the following line

LC_TIME="custom.UTF-8"
6.Restart/Logout Change session to MATE.

Good luck

Return to “Beginner Questions”