difference between Mint xfce and install xfce over mate?

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
ElectricRider

difference between Mint xfce and install xfce over mate?

Post by ElectricRider »

I see Mint 14 has a xfce version.. I like xfce.. i usually install it on a distro and use it half the time with mate.. but, are there advantages to using the xfce only distro without any other DE's installed??

Do the other DE's in the system cause slow downs even though they are not currently used?

Whats the need for an xfce only distro if one can simply install it on top of any other version?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Re: difference between Mint xfce and install xfce over mate?

Post by xenopeek »

Linux Mint Xfce is tailored and customized, as is the set of default applications installed with it. You can install the meta package mint-meta-xfce on top of Linux Mint MATE and get the same experience, except for having in your menu also the MATE applications :wink: Alternatively, you can install the xfce4 meta package (and optionally xfce4-goodies) and get the default Xfce available on MATE, but again you would also have MATE applications in your menu. So it depends a bit on what you want.
ElectricRider

Re: difference between Mint xfce and install xfce over mate?

Post by ElectricRider »

I guess many people are loyal to their DE's apps. I look at it this way, the more i can run, the more choices i have. I'm only worried about performance hits. I haven't been a consistent Linux enough user to say I have found my favorite core apps. I'm always looking for what can do a better job. Thanks.

Return to “Xfce”