How Stable Mint 14 KDE?

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
marcus0263
Level 4
Level 4

How Stable Mint 14 KDE?

Post by marcus0263 »

I've been running Mint 14 w/ Cinnamon since the release on both my home and work machine. What I have found is that it is way too buggy, my work machine crashes and I have to hard power cycle it on average 6 or more times a day. Cinnamon and Gnome 3 has stability issues and I can't have this on my work rig, so asking before I downgrade to mint 10, how stable has KDE been on Mint 14?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Shuttle SX58
Intel i7 Gulftown Hex Core
G.Skill 16Gig 1333
OCS Vertex 2 SSD
Segate SATA II
Palit GeForce GTS 450
LMKDE 14 64Bit

Where Thought Crime is Committed
Reject the Herd
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Re: How Stable Mint 14 KDE?

Post by xenopeek »

I'd recommend you figure out what is causing crashes because it is rock solid stable here. It is likely an issue with some of your hardware or its drivers, possibly upgrading to a newer kernel will fix that. After your machine crashes, wait a few minutes so you have a good gap of time that you are sure you didn't use the machine, then boot it again and investigate your /var/log/syslog file. Beginning of each line has a timestamp, so from the end of the file scroll up to the gap of time where you didn't use it. Explore the 100 or so lines before that for any errors or warnings. At least in my case there was a clue there and one easy kernel setting later my machine has never been so stable...
marcus0263
Level 4
Level 4

Post by marcus0263 »

xenopeek wrote:I'd recommend you figure out what is causing crashes because it is rock solid stable here. It is likely an issue with some of your hardware or its drivers, possibly upgrading to a newer kernel will fix that. After your machine crashes, wait a few minutes so you have a good gap of time that you are sure you didn't use the machine, then boot it again and investigate your /var/log/syslog file. Beginning of each line has a timestamp, so from the end of the file scroll up to the gap of time where you didn't use it. Explore the 100 or so lines before that for any errors or warnings. At least in my case there was a clue there and one easy kernel setting later my machine has never been so stable...
I've went through the stack traces and kicked up a bug a while ago, it's Cinnamon. It's been buggy since I upgraded from 10 to mint 12 with Cinnamon.

Oh that and SMP pukes, this is an upstream Ubuntu issue since 12.04 also
Shuttle SX58
G.Skill 16Gig 1333
OCS Vertex 2 SSD
Segate SATA II
Palit GeForce GTS 450
LMKDE 14 64Bit

Reject the Herd
Orbmiser

Post by Orbmiser »

Yep found some strange issues with Cinnamon 14 like tray icons coming up invisible or all blocked out squares. And required a cinnamon restart. Also for some reason half the time my external usb drives wouldn't show in Nemo tho rebooting or logging out back in solved the issue and magically appeared.

Installed KDE 14 a.k.a 4.9.4 little in way of bugs occasionally panel and desktop became unresponsive for like 30-60 seconds then work fine for awhile but randomly rearing it's ugly head time to time. And Amarok crashing was the biggest offender. So switched to Clementine for music and a lot smoother running and glitch free.

But backported 4.10 and Zero! issues at the present moment. No bugs,lockups,etc...
Running smooth for me the last 2 weeks.
Amd dual core 4gb ram with Ati 4350 graphics running default Open driver on dual displays.

Pretty satisfied with stability and bug free so far.
marcus0263
Level 4
Level 4

Re: Re: How Stable Mint 14 KDE?

Post by marcus0263 »

Orbmiser wrote:Yep found some strange issues with Cinnamon 14 like tray icons coming up invisible or all blocked out squares. And required a cinnamon restart. Also for some reason half the time my external usb drives wouldn't show in Nemo tho rebooting or logging out back in solved the issue and magically appeared.

Installed KDE 14 a.k.a 4.9.4 little in way of bugs occasionally panel and desktop became unresponsive for like 30-60 seconds then work fine for awhile but randomly rearing it's ugly head time to time. And Amarok crashing was the biggest offender. So switched to Clementine for music and a lot smoother running and glitch free.

But backported 4.10 and Zero! issues at the present moment. No bugs,lockups,etc...
Running smooth for me the last 2 weeks.
Amd dual core 4gb ram with Ati 4350 graphics running default Open driver on dual displays.

Pretty satisfied with stability and bug free so far.
Than, gonna test the KDE flavor on my home rig tonight

Sent from my Atrix with Tapatalk
Shuttle SX58
G.Skill 16Gig 1333
OCS Vertex 2 SSD
Segate SATA II
Palit GeForce GTS 450
LMKDE 14 64Bit

Reject the Herd
J_C

Post by J_C »

KDE on Mint has been rock solid for me since 4.9 onwards. The only issue I had was my external sound card, though working, was not plug and play and had to selected manually, this has now been resolved with KDE 4.10.

As far as crashes are concerned, on KDE 4.9, I can honestly say ZERO.... in the time I was using I encountered none. Like I said, now running 4.10.

I found KDE 4.8 on Mint 12 a little flaky, but 4.9 is a beautiful mature desktop I highly recommend it. :D

Edit: Ah yes, I forgot, :oops: I did manage to crash Mint 13 KDE 4.9 when updating the kernel, but this was just a graphic driver issue. I’m sure removing my drivers and installing later ones would have resolved it… but I took that opportunity to do a fresh install of Mint 14. :lol:

Return to “Software & Applications”