[SOLVED] Changing default File Manager

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Amithiel

[SOLVED] Changing default File Manager

Post by Amithiel »

Hey guys, i Just installed the new cinnamon 1.6, along with nemo. but i can't set it as default file manager
Nautilus still pops up. I'm affraid of removing nautilus and can't work then.
I searched google but all i can find is big tutorials evolving command line and extense scripts. i mean... come on, issn't there an easy way to just set it as default?
Last edited by Amithiel on Fri Sep 21, 2012 3:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Amithiel

Re: Changing default File Manager

Post by Amithiel »

Its amazing, no matter how hard i search, i keep getting also other foruns with people asking this question and no replies. even on IRC, everybody avoids this question!
It's either so easy to do, that no one's bothering to help, Or, it's so hard that's impossible to do it!
I found a supposed way to make it work: " right click any folder, click open with... and select nemo, then mark to always open with it". There's no "open with nemo".
There is "open with (files)" that happens to be nemo, but there's no option to set it as default.
I saw a guy facing the same issue and decided to remove nautilus. the result was: Nemo not opening by default, he lost his file manager.
I would prefer avoiding that, but i guess i have to quit searching this. it's a dead end
Also, someone said on another blog, to go for "prefered applications list". I don't know what the hell these people are talking about!! there is a "List" going to preferences/details/default applications, but there's no "file manager" to choose! i must be blind here.
And then, theres another group of people that didn't even had to do anything at all! installed cinnamon 1.6, reboot and thei're using nemo as default!
this is driving me mad...

The way i updated my system was:
- enabling romeo on the update manager as suggested
- updating cinnamon
- reboot
- disable romeo again

That's it! no errors at all, no issues, just the damn nautilus still remains the default file manager!
sintetico

Post by sintetico »

After that you go to Menu -> Preferences -> Software Manager ...search for Nautilus ...uninstall it ...restart your computer.
The desktop icons of Computer and Home have disappeared.
To restore them go to Menu -> Accessories ...right click on Files and click Add to desktop.
Now you have a shortcut to Nemo on your desktop, to change its right click on it -> Properties ...click on the icon and navigate to
/usr/share/icons/Mint-X/devices/128/computer.svg
Change the name of the shortcut to Computer and you are done.
Amithiel

Post by Amithiel »

THANKS GOD! finally, a viable solution. Thanks so much man, seriously. afterall, no harm removing nautilus :)
Cheers dude!
shnplr

Re: [SOLVED] Changing default File Manager

Post by shnplr »

Or...
Preferences --> Cinnamon Settings --> Desktop --> (make icons visible)
h.liem.n

Post by h.liem.n »

Guys a much easier method and it worked for me is to right-click on the panel, Troubleshoot, Restore all settings to default. You will have to re-configure your favourite, panel, and shortcuts, etc.
PiMinto

Post by PiMinto »

cygnus
This is what I did:

viewtopic.php?f=208&t=115611&p=648075#p648075
I followed those instructions and it worked. This is what I did (without removing nautilus):
Open /usr/share/applications/defaults.list (as admin)
search for the line with "nautilus" and replace with "nemo"
save, close, and nemo is now the default.

if anyone is helplessly clicking the 'files' icon in the panel and still encountering Nautilus, as I was, remember to remove the existing icon (Nautilus) and add Nemo.(look for it as "Files" in the menu, green folder icon and right click > add to panel)
PiMinto

Post by PiMinto »

PiMinto wrote:
cygnus
This is what I did:

I followed those instructions and it worked. This is what I did (without removing nautilus):

if anyone is helplessly clicking the 'files' icon in the panel and still encountering Nautilus, as I was, remember to remove the existing icon (Nautilus) and add Nemo.(look for it as "Files" in the menu, green folder icon and right click > add to panel)
The above change to defaults.list seems temporary - on reboot it's back to nautilus. Can this thread revert to unsolved?
zeddock

Post by zeddock »

deafults.list seems to be temporary and resets after reboot for me. (I was trying to add another default proggy, but still.)

If anyone has solution to this please advise.

Zeddock
cygnus

Post by cygnus »

PiMinto wrote:
PiMinto wrote:
cygnus
This is what I did:

The above change to defaults.list seems temporary - on reboot it's back to nautilus. Can this thread revert to unsolved?
I've rebooted many times and it never reverted back for me. Maybe something in the init scripts is overwriting it? For the record I'm using Ubuntu 12.04, not Mint.
zeddock

Post by zeddock »

...Looks like you have to change this one too or it won’t survive reboot: sudo gedit /usr/share/linuxmint/common/artwork/mime/defaults.list
erie88
Level 1
Level 1

Post by erie88 »

I found out the trick here http://www.fandigital.com/:
Open in terminal:

Code: Select all

xdg-mime query default inode/directory
(to check the default file manager)

Then write this:

xdg-mime default nemo.desktop inode/directory application
hopefully this could help. May need with sudo.
subxaero

Post by subxaero »

erie88 wrote:I found out the trick here http://www.fandigital.com/:
Open in terminal:

Then write this:

This works for me. Thanks.
dereism

Post by dereism »

Open in terminal:

Then write this:

This appears to be working on a Fedora 18 install as well. Thank you so much!
llovepancakes
Level 1
Level 1

Post by llovepancakes »

dereism wrote: Mon Feb 11, 2013 8:36 pm
Open in terminal:

Then write this:

This appears to be working on a Fedora 18 install as well. Thank you so much!
good to hear it all works. did you notice in either OS your mod4 (or windows key) + E for explorer or your chosen directory to open, it loads slower than default file manager?

Return to “Beginner Questions”