[Solved] Mint 14 can't login

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
ctav01
Level 1
Level 1

[Solved] Mint 14 can't login

Post by ctav01 »

I installed MInt 14 from a usb key to my new home built computer. It seemed to go fine and I was able to boot with no problems so I shut it down and moved it to it's final home and now it won't boot.

I get the login screen, enter user id and password, the screen blanks, some text pops up and then it loops back to the login screen. So I tried reinstalling from a usb key and I get the usb menu and if I try the "Install MInt" option, some text rolls by and it loops back to the hard drive login screen. If I try compatibility mode, lots of text rolls by and I get a intfmrs (sp?) menu. Any suggestions?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Re: Mint 14 can't login

Post by catweazel »

ctav01 wrote:I ... moved it to it's final home...
What does that mean?
"There is, ultimately, only one truth -- cogito, ergo sum -- everything else is an assumption." - Me, my swansong.
ctav01
Level 1
Level 1

Post by ctav01 »

I have a workbench where I build the computers and once they're done, I move them to where I want them to be for day to day use. In this case, on top of my desk.
ctav01
Level 1
Level 1

Post by ctav01 »

Trying again. I had some problems once I installed Mint 14 Mate to a newly built box so I'm trying to reinstall booting off a usb drive. I get the Mint menu, select Linux Mint and then get a login screen that says "user Mint will log in in 10 seconds". So I wait and it loops me back to the same login screen.

So I restarted and tried "test memory" off the usb boot screen and it sends me to a initramfs prompt.

Any suggestions? Any idea if it's hardware or software? Thanks.
linuxmintdvo

Post by linuxmintdvo »

I had the same problem - I found that changing the boot parameters to remove the splash screen got me in. See this thread: http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=46&t=122257
ctav01
Level 1
Level 1

Post by ctav01 »

Thanks everybody for your suggestions. I wasn't able to get the left shift to work (probably due to my kvm setup) so I kept looking and I eventually booted off a Knoppix Live CD, found my way to the grub.cfg file and used the thread linked above to modify my boot parameter and I'm now able to boot at a lower resolution. Yay!

Return to “Installation & Boot”