I do not expect you to find out for me why Ubuntu 12.04.1 Unity converted to Linux Mint 13 Cinnamon starts using as much energy as good old Lucid Lynx did/still does on the same notebook. Just mentioned it because it might be an unwanted side effect of converting.
Just for the fun of it and because a few days off give me the time to do so, I have backed up the whole "Pangolin Unity turnt into Maya Cinnamon" installation. (Cheap large external USB harddrives are a wonderful invention.)
Next I have setup the same system from the scratch using the genuine ISO image linuxmint-13-cinnamon-dvd-32bit.iso. I have installed exactly the same list of additional software which had been installed on the "Pangolin Unity turnt into Maya Cinnamon" system. The same configuration settings have been re-applied and my data restored as well. All available updates have been applied.
By now the genuine "Linux Mint 13 Cinnamon" is up and running and finished.
The list of installed software packages has been collected by running the command
- Code: Select all
dpkg-query --show > Maya_x86_installed_software_genuine.txt
A first quick comparison of Maya_x86_installed_software_02.txt ("Pangolin Unity turnt into Maya Cinnamon") with Maya_x86_installed_software_genuine.txt (Linux Mint 13 Cinnamon) reveals an amazing amount of differences.
Only a part of them can be eliminated as irrelevant, because in a few cases MintUpdater installed more recent software packages on the freshly installed Maya than it had done yesterday on the converted Pangolin.
I will have to go through the list of differences, eliminate those that are accounted for by more recent updates, and carefully examine the relevance of the rest.
Don't know whether anybody will have any use for the two lists, yet, they have been attached to this post anyway, just in case.
Time to call it quits for tonight. (2 am local time)