Where do I find a list of installed programs in Linux Mint

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
getting there

Post by getting there »

Hello, Yep! I am a newbee! One of the first things I did was download anti virus.
Since then I have been reading posts and have learned I do not need it.
Stupidly i did not copy the name of the program because being an ex-microsoft Windows person I thought it would show up in the installed programs list. The problem I am having is; where do I find such a list in Linux Mint??
If I can locate it I want to remove it. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
animaguy

Post by animaguy »

Off the top of my head I cannot remember the command for listing the default repositories or the package list on each individual repository.

But since I have a few seconds, I thought I would welcome you with some helpful hints.

It takes time to get used to the differences with Windows and Linux.

There are a lot of Linux distros available to choose from.

Linux Mint is arguably one of the best if you are new.

This forum is great for asking questions.

My advice is to start with Linux Mint with the xfce desktop (ubuntu based).

Others may advise you To start with another desktop but most on this forum at least will advise you to stick with Linux Mint as a distribution (or "distro" as it is commonly refered to as).

As a new person I recommend that you get used to the idea of reinstalling frequently as it will take time to learn how to customize your own set up.

Learn how to install. remove and upgrade packages via the terminal as well as the Software Manager.

Browse the Menu and try out all of the default packages.

In windows software is usually referred to as programs while in Linux software is usually referred to as packages.

When I get time I will describe how to get info about different packages and list the default repositories.

I hope you enjoy your experience with Linux.

in the meantime dont be shy to introduce yourself in the Introduce Forum as well if you have not already done so.

Cheers.
cwsnyder

Re: Where do I find a list of installed programs in Linux Mi

Post by cwsnyder »

You can find a list of installed packages in Synaptic if you have that package installed.

In the terminal, you can also type the following command to get the list to a file called list.txt (don't type in the $, it is a prompt indicator):

Code: Select all

$ dpkg -l > list.txt
You can open the file list.txt in any editor or use the cat or less commands in the terminal to list the file.
getting there

Post by getting there »

Thank you Animaguy and CWSnyder for answering my plea for help. I will do all the things you both suggested.
I,m GETTING THERE.
Edd443

Post by Edd443 »

in the meantime dont be shy to introduce yourself in the Introduce Forum as well if you have not already done so.
Where do I find that intro forum? I'm also a newbie and would like to introduce myself! :D
dario

Post by dario »

$ aptitude
DataMan

Post by DataMan »

Introduce yourself at:

http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewforum.php?f=180

... and welcome.

-DataMan

Return to “Software & Applications”