Running windows programs

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
crocket
Level 1
Level 1

Running windows programs

Post by crocket »

Hi,
Finally installed Linux Mint 14 nadia.

she is lovely and i am quite smitten!

i would love to ditch windows outright but i need a couple of programs for work

sage accounting but more importantly Mitsubishi GX Developer PLC programming software.

wine doesnt recognise them nor another paid converter i found

will i have to keep a windows boot to run this software for now?

as more people see sense and ditch windows will it be easier to run old windows based progs on linux?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
gibbs1984
Level 5
Level 5

Re: Running windows programs

Post by gibbs1984 »

If WINE doesn't run them and they don't have a Linux version then as far as I know your only option is to try a Virtual Machine and run Windows in that, not perfect though.
Linux Mint 20.3 (Cinnamon) 64bit.
WesNeary

Post by WesNeary »

Did you get anywhere trying to use Sage i also have this requirement.
raymerjacque
Level 4
Level 4

Post by raymerjacque »

Have you tried Crossover office ?

Version 11.3 was released free of charge in 2012 to public, and its only 2 version behind current version. so may wanna try that, it works great specially with Windows Apps, for games i would recommend Wine over crossover.
WesNeary

Post by WesNeary »

raymerjacque wrote:Have you tried Crossover office ?

Version 11.3 was released free of charge in 2012 to public, and its only 2 version behind current version. so may wanna try that, it works great specially with Windows Apps, for games i would recommend Wine over crossover.
Is there a specific link for the download of the free version.
crocket
Level 1
Level 1

Post by crocket »

WesNeary wrote:Did you get anywhere trying to use Sage i also have this requirement.
wine doesnt open / run it but i found a paid (£38) package that said it does. sorry i forgot the name, will post it if i find it.

until microsoft go broke we will be stuck with it i am afraid and when i install linux on my work pc's i will dual boot or keep 1 for windows stuff that never goes on the internet and all the rest with general office apps on linux. same as you though would be nice to include sage in that for e-mail invoicing etc.
raymerjacque
Level 4
Level 4

Post by raymerjacque »

http://slickdeals.net/f/5402376-People- ... -Linux-Mac

They released a free version in support of the hurricane sandy victims.

here, found the links :

32bit : http://media.codeweavers.com/pub/crosso ... 1_i386.deb

64bit : http://media.codeweavers.com/pub/crosso ... _amd64.deb

it still has the "register to unlock" links in it, but it does not expire like normal demo does, i think the unlock is simply to get online support.

Maybe someone should make a post about it in a release thread or something, Cross over is a really easy way for new comers to linux to run windows software, and its not everyday a free version gets released.
WesNeary

Post by WesNeary »

crocket wrote:
WesNeary wrote:Did you get anywhere trying to use Sage i also have this requirement.
wine doesnt open / run it but i found a paid (£38) package that said it does. sorry i forgot the name, will post it if i find it.

until microsoft go broke we will be stuck with it i am afraid and when i install linux on my work pc's i will dual boot or keep 1 for windows stuff that never goes on the internet and all the rest with general office apps on linux. same as you though would be nice to include sage in that for e-mail invoicing etc.
Have you managed to find the Name of the package that allowed sage to run

Return to “Beginner Questions”