New install, low disk space

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
rich32g

New install, low disk space

Post by rich32g »

Hey guys, done a search and had a google about but can't find anything on this.

I had previously installed Ubuntu 12.10 a few days a go but despite fully updating everything and trying other stuff the performance was utterly terrible! 15 seconds for the browser to respond to my typing in the URL bar etc.

So, I found mint 14. Awesome, lightning compared to Ubuntu. I have an issue though. I am dual booting on the side of a Windows 7 installation. I installed Mint from within windows, allocating 20GB of space. I have repeated this procedure twice in case I missed something.

The problem is I go to update and just near the end of updating I get a pop up in the top right corner saying "low disk space, This computer has only <amount> disk space remaining." I looked around (I'm new to this) and it appears my file allocation is only 2GB and that is basically full before I can even update a fresh install. Am I doing something wrong? Have I missed something? If there is any other info I can provide I will try. I really want this to work as for the first time I'm seeing an OS I'd replace Windows with.

Specs if needed: i3 330m, 4GB RAM, 250GB HDD (about 100GB free)

Thanks,
Rich
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
d00med

Re: New install, low disk space

Post by d00med »

Try this at the terminal

Code: Select all

sudo fdisk -l
and paste the output here in the forum
rich32g

Post by rich32g »

This is my output, Cheers.

Code: Select all

$ sudo fdisk -l

Disk /dev/sda: 250.1 GB, 250059350016 bytes
255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 30401 cylinders, total 488397168 sectors
Units = sectors of 1 * 512 = 512 bytes
Sector size (logical/physical): 512 bytes / 512 bytes
I/O size (minimum/optimal): 512 bytes / 512 bytes
Disk identifier: 0xddd815a9

Device Boot      Start         End      Blocks   Id  System
/dev/sda1   *        2048      206847      102400    7  HPFS/NTFS/exFAT
/dev/sda2          206848   488394751   244093952    7  HPFS/NTFS/exFAT
rich32g

Post by rich32g »

Further to above. As a test I downloaded and installed Chromium and put it in the toolbar at the bottom and then rebooted. The icon in the toolbar has gone as has Chromium. I think I am in some kind of evaluation mode?
rich32g

Post by rich32g »

Just an update. I un-installed within Windows, again. Made a bootable DVD of Mint 14 and then installed via that. It now works as intended :D

Return to “Installation & Boot”