Monitor size not detected [SOLVED]

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
marksweb

Monitor size not detected [SOLVED]

Post by marksweb »

Yesterday I installed Mint MATE and everything went perfectly well during the install, the only problem I have is now it's up an running.

I've got an old ATi HD3850 output to a TV through a DVI -> HDMI adapter and the OS is detecting the monitor as a 7" display with 1920x1080 resolution. So the resolution is what I want, but it extends beyond the boundaries of my viewport so I can't see the edges of the desktop :(

I've been working through various guides but so far I can't get a driver to work properly. The last thing I tried was working through the installation via the command line detailed here;
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/BinaryDriverHowto/ATI

I got as far as trying to generate a clean xorg.conf with aticonfig --initial or amdconfig --initial and neither worked (no matching adapters found for both I think the error was).

Could someone please offer me some other (possibly more specific mint) advise please? This seems a fairly common problem from the googling I've done, but I'm never sure what the problem is best called so struggle with finding solutions.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Flemur
Level 20
Level 20

Re: Monitor size not detected - desktop out of visible area

Post by Flemur »

This prolly won't help, but I had something similar happen with nvidia drivers; fixed it by adding one or both of these lines* to /etc/X11/xorg.conf in the Section "Monitor":

Code: Select all

HorizSync       28.0 - 72.0
VertRefresh     28.0 - 72.0
*(I'd been goofing with custom kernels without matching headers for the driver installation...)
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] if/when it is solved!
Your data and OS are backed up....right?
marksweb

Re: Monitor size not detected - desktop out of visible area

Post by marksweb »

I'll give that a go. I gave up last night before editing that file & having just gone to look for it I don't actually have one anymore, just a backup created during my attempt at installing drivers with the cli and that backup is just empty anyway :/

thanks.

*edit*

The legacy drivers & a Xorg downgrade have fixed it as were suggested in the version 14 release notes.

Guidance for anyone else who needs it is here; http://www.ubuntuvibes.com/2012/10/how- ... egacy.html

Return to “Software & Applications”