Panel Icons No Longer Work - Mint 14 [SOLVED]

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
jackmason

Panel Icons No Longer Work - Mint 14 [SOLVED]

Post by jackmason »

Running Mint 14 Cinnamon. I added filezilla to the system tools in the menu, then right clicked on it and added it to the panel. Then nothing on the panel responded. I minimized a Firefox window, it was shown on the panel, but would not open. I removed the filezilla applet from the bar, removed filezilla from the system tools in the menu, and rebooted. Still, nothing works from the panel except menu. The mouse over an item shows the description, a right click prompts with "remove applet", but a left click on an icon in the bar does nothing detectable.

This is a serious problem. What caused this? Is there a way to fix it? Is it a known problem? I can rebuild the system at this point, but in the future, it would be disasterous.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
caribriz

Re: Panel Icons No Longer Work - Mint 14

Post by caribriz »

Sorry to hear you're having this problem.
I just (again) tried my instructions from the other post, adding an application to the menu in System Tools, then adding it to the panel - and it's working fine for me.

Have you got Panel Edit mode turned on - if so, click the small "up" arrow in the panel towards the right side and make sure Panel Edit mode is off.

I experienced your symptoms when I turned Panel Edit mode on.
Straight away, my panel icons would not work - just as you described.
Turned Panel Edit mode to off, and they work fine again. Worth a try.
jackmason

Post by jackmason »

That fixed the problem. Thank you ever so much!! I was greatly worried that it was a bug in Mint somewhere and that it was going to cause us problems down the road.
caribriz

Post by caribriz »

Glad you got it sorted out :)

Return to “Beginner Questions”