change computer name

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
rmcellig
Level 4
Level 4

change computer name

Post by rmcellig »

When I was installing the new Mint 14 KDE, I forgot to change the computer name to something I wanted. Now that KDE is installed, how can I change the computer name to something else? Do I sudo nano etc/hostname ( I think that is where it is located), or is there another way?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Take care,

Randy
www.mcran.com - my web site
www.chuo.fm - My radio show every Sunday from noon-2pm or 89.1 fM
bjornmu
Level 3
Level 3

Re: change computer name

Post by bjornmu »

Yes, /etc/hostname is the file that contains the name. You may also need to change it in /etc/hosts .
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Re: change computer name

Post by xenopeek »

There may be a GUI way to do that, but I don't know it :wink: Update your computer name in both /etc/hostname and /etc/hosts (replace each occurrence of your current computer name with the new one). Dolphin is handy here; go to /etc and right-click these files and from the context menu select Root Actions > Open as Text. Kate will open and you can now edit the files as needed.

Return to “Beginner Questions”