What is 'Unattached inode' and how do I fix it ?

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Bob Unitt
Level 2
Level 2

What is 'Unattached inode' and how do I fix it ?

Post by Bob Unitt »

Hi, I thought I'd give Mint a try in place of my usual Ubuntu. I installed Mint 14 on an old Acer 4401LMi a week ago. It's been working OK up till now, but it now stays in blank screen at start-up. If I hit keys at random I eventually get a terminal-type screen with a number of repeated messages :-

/dev/sda1: UNEXPECTED INCONSISTENCY; RUN fsck MANUALLY.
(i.e., without -a or -p options)
mountall: fsck / [923] terminated with status 4
mountall: Filesystem has errors: /
mountall: Skipping mounting / since Plymouth is not available
fsck from util-linux 2.20.1
/dev/sda1: Unattached inode 736728

..and the hard-disk light stays on. Hitting keys at random (what else am I supposed to do ?) just results in the same block of messages again.

How do I get out of this ?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
zerozero

Re: What is 'Unattached inode' and how do I fix it ?

Post by zerozero »

cleaning this topic, sorry for the inconvenience :oops:

unfortunately i can't help you with the problem you're having.

Return to “Beginner Questions”