3 OS's. 3 different Grub 2 installs... can't edit Grub 2

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
swright007

3 OS's. 3 different Grub 2 installs... can't edit Grub 2

Post by swright007 »

Mint Mate 14 on SDB4
Mint Debian on SDB1
Debian 6 on SDA5

For some reason my slave drive, a 2 TB file storage drive is now being seen in the system as SDA
The drive my main operating systems are on is SDB (SDB used to be SDA before I put the big SATA drive in)

I recently had to reinstall Mint Debian. Since the install, I have noticed that I can't seem to edit my Grub 2. I make the changes but they don't apply when I sudo update grub
It is as if there is more than 1 grub stored and the one the editor sees IS NOT the one that actually gets sudo-updated.... therefore nothing changes. I need to find a way to see what is going on and actually find a way to access the correct grub to edit. I would appreciate any guidance.

Scott
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
lmarmisa

Re: 3 OS's. 3 different Grub 2 installs... can't edit Grub

Post by lmarmisa »

swright007 wrote:Mint Mate 14 on SDB4
Mint Debian on SDB1
Debian 6 on SDA5

For some reason my slave drive, a 2 TB file storage drive is not being seen in the system as SDA
The drive my main operating systems are on is SDB

I recently had to reinstall Mint Debian. Since the install, I have noticed that I can't seem to edit my Grub 2. I make the changes but they don't apply when I sudo-update grub
It is as if there is more than 1 grub stored and the one the editor sees IS NOT the one that actually gets sudo-updated.... therefore nothing changes. I need to find a way to see what is going on and actually find a way to access the correct grub to edit. I would appreciate any guidance.

Scott
You have 3 OS installed with a grub program each. But GRUB loader belongs to only one OS. If the owner of boot loader is not Mint Debian, the command update-grub will not apply.

If you wish to assign boot loader to Mint Debian, boot into this OS and type these commands:

Code: Select all

sudo grub-install /dev/sda
sudo update-grub
If boot device of BIOS is not /dev/sda but /dev/sdb, use the alternative device in command.

Best regards,

Luis
wayne128

Post by wayne128 »

From reading the word 'slave drive', and 2TB as storage drive, yet you have both sda5, sdb4 and sdb1 as OS on the storage drive....hmm

that leads me to guess you have a ide ( PATA) drive for your 'sdb'. just guess :mrgreen:
2TB should be a sata drive :mrgreen:

and you might be seeing inconsistency in drive designation each time you boot one of the three OSes..

may be you can confirm
1. you have a mix of pata and sata drive
2. boot a few times over each of the three OSes, then each time do two commands on terminal, record the terminal output, then compare all three sets of them to see, the only thing you should see are these three sets are IDENTICAL.
if there are not, then you are in for very inconsistent issue for booting,,, then you works on grub become nothing but confusing..
swright007

Post by swright007 »

SDB is a Western Digital 250 GB IDE HD ... with Linux Mint Mate and Linux Mint Debian on it.
SDA (Originally just a storage drive but later tasked with testing Debian 6).... is a SATA drive. I'm sorry if I was unclear.

Return to “Installation & Boot”