Open executable game Linux file... need application?

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
mbman88

Open executable game Linux file... need application?

Post by mbman88 »

I downloaded The Plan, a video game preview-version from Krillbite Studio (my girlfriend already tried it on Windows 7 so I know it's not malware).. I downloaded the Linux version from their website which I will not list for reasons of spam or advertising rules.. It can be found via Google.

After extracting the ZIP I tried opening the Executable file named "The Plan" but it says it could not display and that there is no application for executable files. Then it asks to search for one. I click Yes but it doesn't find any..

I have opened executable linux files on other systems before.. Of course... that doesn't mean I have on Mint 13 yet..

I JUST changed the properties > permissions option of "Allow executing file as program" WHILE posting this.. tried to open.. and it no longer says "could not display...no application...etc" ... but it also doesn't do ANYTHING now..

I tried open as administrator but it says it could not find the right application..

I would PREFER if someone tried this, also, so we could figure out what is happening.

If I need to list more details then I need instructions on how to do-so.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
mbman88

Re: Open executable game Linux file... need application?

Post by mbman88 »

I tried to explain that I did this already but it may have been difficult to understand:
I JUST changed the properties > permissions option of "Allow executing file as program" WHILE posting this.. tried to open.. and it no longer says "could not display...no application...etc" ... but it also doesn't do ANYTHING now..
THIS doesn't sound like good news, however. I must be missing an important application on Mint 13..

There is no refresh button on the NEW Nautilus.. HOWEVER I DID actually exit the page and return to it and it still doesn't open or do anything.
Last edited by mbman88 on Mon Feb 11, 2013 9:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mbman88

Post by mbman88 »

Firstly, I disagree that this post should ever be deleted. As since I am COMPLETELY up to date on updates and I did a restart and that has NOT helped.. it seems that I have a problem that is listed for Ubuntu (Google Search) but nothing has come up on Mint yet. It would be useful to have one for Mint, also. This problem is bigger than this game, it seems.

I don't know where to look for more Linux executables to try out, I know I have/had some but I don't know what or where.. //////

ALSO FYI the executable file "The Plan" does not show any extension name
mbman88

Post by mbman88 »

Since Timpster managed to get this thing to work I have to continue saying that there is something different about my system that needs to be addressed. This topic should stay open until we figure it out.
I still don't undersatnd how Timpster managed to get it to run.
mbman88

Post by mbman88 »

If this game cannot self-execute but can on Ubuntu 12.04 then that means that Mint 13 install has a problem that needs to be resolved.. particularly since it is an LTS.

Return to “Software & Applications”