Installing VMware Tools

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
lapetite66

Installing VMware Tools

Post by lapetite66 »

Hi:

I am a newbie to this forum and to linux anything.

I managed to install the Linuxmint KDE version 14 on my Vmware player but I'm having MAJOR problems installing VMware tools.

I did a search on this forum and found the link http://install-climber.blogspot.com.au/ ... isual.html but that isn't helping me because certain things seem to be missing from my Mint desktop. For instance in the above links tutorial they show a desktop with the following icons "computer, home and CDrom but none of those icons are on my KDE desktop. My KDE desktop is totally iconless :( Is that normal for KDE version??? I managed to find the vmware tools but how can I mount it if I can't find the CDrom icon to mount it too? How do I get the icons to show up on the desktop period??? :cry:

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
usbtux

Re: Installing VMware Tools

Post by usbtux »

You need to download them via, devices>install guest additions it should then be available via devices>/cd/dvd devices and it should auto run.

Icons - in cinnamon they are toggled in cinnamon settings>desktop. I'm sure there's something similar in kde.
lapetite66

Post by lapetite66 »

usbtux wrote:You need to download them via, devices>install guest additions it should then be available via devices>/cd/dvd devices and it should auto run.

Icons - in cinnamon they are toggled in cinnamon settings>desktop. I'm sure there's something similar in kde.
Hi usbtux:

Thanks for replying to my post.

Are you saying that I need to download a CDrom? If so the only things I see in software manager are AcetoneISO and gmountISO. I installed AcetoneISO but the vmwaretools is still only showing up in the CD/DVD software of the VMware(vmware toolbar at the top of the vmware virtual machine) and that is NOT showing up on the desktop.

I have figured out how to add the various icons to the desktop or at least some of them. I think "Dolphin" is the linuxmint version of "My Computer" which I've managed to add to the desktop. Once I clicked on "install vmware tools" and go to Dolphin I see the CDrom under the "Devices" heading in that folder and although I can add the vmwaretools.tar.gz folder to the desktop I can't add the CD/DVD icon to the desktop nor can I found the actual software. :(
usbtux

Post by usbtux »

Sorry, I gave you info for virtual box which is not vmwareplayer. I seem to remember that its roughly the same, download the iso and point the virtual cd device at the iso. You do not mount the iso in the virtual machine - it runs in the the vmware prog. - clear as mud, I know; but google should help.
lapetite66

Post by lapetite66 »

usbtux wrote:Sorry, I gave you info for virtual box which is not vmwareplayer. I seem to remember that its roughly the same, download the iso and point the virtual cd device at the iso. You do not mount the iso in the virtual machine - it runs in the the vmware prog. - clear as mud, I know; but google should help.
usbtux:

Okay so the previous information was for virtualplayer I got that part.

What ISO are you talking about downloading? Vmware tools???

The problem I'm having is trying to install vmware tools. I've search and found numerous instructions; case and point this tutorial http://install-climber.blogspot.com.au/ ... isual.htmlbut nothing is working and as far as the vmware patch that doesn't seem to be for vmware but instead for the following:

Patches are available for:
- ESX: Patch bundle for ESX Classic
- ESXi: Patch bundle for ESX Embedded and Installable
- VEM: Patch bundle for Cisco Nexus Virtual Ethernet Module for ESX/ESXi
- vCenter Server 5.x Patches

You say that you don't mount the iso in the virtual machine it runs in the vmware program. Well, when I've attempted to install vmware tools I see that it's showing up in LinuxMint KDE's in/on the cdrom. I've unzipped it to the desktop and then tried installing it using the various sudo commands for vmware but nothing works. :x

I'll keep trying but if I don't figure this out soon I'm going to give up.
usbtux

Post by usbtux »

I don't use vmware I use virtual box. You dont need to use the tools on mint when its a guest OS in virtual box.

Picture 4 of your link shows that the iso is mounted in the virtual machine and that it is available to the guest OS (mint).

I seem to remember ( things may have changed) that there was a install.sh ( or something like that) on the iso

Patch? Dunno! what does it do??

As you are struggling to use vmware you might find Virtual box easer to use.
I have win xp and win 7, several versions of mint and other linux's working really well on Virtual box.

To install see http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.p ... 40#p687640
lapetite66

Post by lapetite66 »

usbtux wrote:I don't use vmware I use virtual box. You dont need to use the tools on mint when its a guest OS in virtual box.

Picture 4 of your link shows that the iso is mounted in the virtual machine and that it is available to the guest OS (mint).

I seem to remember ( things may have changed) that there was a install.sh ( or something like that) on the iso

Patch? Dunno! what does it do??

As you are struggling to use vmware you might find Virtual box easer to use.
I have win xp and win 7, several versions of mint and other linux's working really well on Virtual box.

To install see http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.p ... 40#p687640
usbtux:

I don't have any idea about what the patch is supposed to do either that I just included that link as example of the various tutorials I've found.

No, I'm not struggling using vmware at all I just wanted to know how to install vmware tools on Linux but if it isn't needed then there's no need for me to stress myself about trying to install it on my vmware player.

Thanks for trying to help and responding to my posts. :)

Return to “Beginner Questions”