Upgrading from Sempron 3400+ to Athlon 64 x2 5400+

Questions about hardware, drivers and peripherals
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
notwatson

Upgrading from Sempron 3400+ to Athlon 64 x2 5400+

Post by notwatson »

Hi,

I have never upgraded a CPU before, so please excuse me if this is a daft question.

I have an ASUS M2N-MX motherboard with an AMD Sempron 3400+ (1.8GHz) installed - 2GB RAM and a 1GB EVGA GeForce 210 graphics card. The motherboard supports a huge range of CPUs and I have purchased an Athlon 64 x2 5400+ (2.8GHz).

Here's the question.....

When I replace the CPU with the new one (adding thermal paste between the CPU and Heatsink/Fan) and reboot (I will have previously updated the BIOS to the most recent version in order to fully support all the newer CPUs), do I need to change anything already installed or will Mint just start as normal ?

The reason I'm doing this is that I have noticed a certain slowness and lag now that I have installed MINT 13 Cinnamon - I used to be on MINT 10.

Thanks for any advice and sorry if this is a silly question.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
srs5694
Level 6
Level 6

Re: Upgrading from Sempron 3400+ to Athlon 64 x2 5400+

Post by srs5694 »

Assuming your motherboard is compatible with the new CPU, Linux should have no problems with it. I did something similar a while back on an eMachines computer -- in fact, I upgraded from a single-core Sempron to the same Athlon X2 5400+ you're planning to use. As I recall, the system booted right up with no problems. On another computer (from which I pulled the X2 5400+, and upgraded to a more powerful triple-core CPU), I had to reset the BIOS by using a motherboard jumper before I could even get as far as GRUB. Based on that experience, you might want to be alert to problems and reset your BIOS if you run into difficulties.
notwatson

Re: Upgrading from Sempron 3400+ to Athlon 64 x2 5400+

Post by notwatson »

Excellent news - that sounds encouraging - in fact my Sempron is single core as was yours.

My Motherboard supports the newer CPU if I update the BIOS, which I already have the necessary files ready to do when the new CPU arrives.

I'll leave this thread until I have completed the upgrade - if all goes well, others may want to know about it (as I did !).

Until then......

Return to “Hardware Support”